It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Comments getting lost when inserting artifacts into a different module. DNG 7.0.2

George Bridgewater (132) | asked Dec 22 '22, 10:45 a.m.

Hi there,

I've got a set of artifacts in a module, lots of which have comments which I need to stay with the artifact.
I'm looking to restructure this set of artifacts so I've "inserted as existing artifact" the artifacts into a different module.
For some reason the comments on the artifacts seem to get lost. For example:

I've got an artifact (310419) that was created in module 309744 with a comment:
Comments problem description 1
When I insert the same artifact into another module (308484), the comments don't come with it:
Comments problem description 2

Interestingly the problem doesn't occur if it's a base artifact that I insert into the same module.

Is there a way to fix this? Thanks.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Davyd Norris (2.2k217) | answered Dec 23 '22, 7:18 p.m.
A module is a "Collection with a Context" - the context of a module remembers an artefact's position, indentation, styling (numbered header or content), and also any comments, tags or links made against it within that module.

If you make a comment, tag or link against an artefact directly (as in against it in the folder structure) then it will be seen in ALL contexts in which you place the artefact. If you make it with the module, it will only be visible in the context of that module.
George Bridgewater selected this answer as the correct answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.