It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Sharing Comments

Michael Seck (111) | asked Nov 09 '22, 12:14 p.m.

What is the best way (is there any way) to export requirement comments in a sharable format (excel, word, etc) and then import replies back into DNG so it can be stored together? If this is not possible, what is the intended method to communicate review comments between customer / supplier?

Comments
David Honey commented Nov 15 '22, 11:29 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

You might want to look at REQIF.

One answer

permanent link
Davyd Norris (2.5k217) | answered Nov 09 '22, 6:10 p.m.
There are several ways you can export comments:
 - export the module or artefacts containing comments as a Word report using the built in report formats. There's a check box that let's you export comments
 - export the review which will include the review comments

When importing a Word document you can import any comments in that document as comments in the DNG module, but there's no way to import comment replies back into DNG from external sources.

What my customers normally do is have all parties work in the same DNG instance and then they just add comments directly. The other option, which isn't as good, is to have a custom attribute on your artefacts for comments. The problem with this is that they are easily changed and overwritten.

Comments
Michael Seck commented Nov 15 '22, 10:37 a.m.
I saw the option to include comments in exports and did not see any difference in the resulting document (there did not appear to be any "word" comments or a separate section containing the comments) - is there a bug or am I looking in the wrong place?

Also, you mention importing the comments from the document into DNG.  It is my understanding that this is not possible - every time I import from Word, it generates a new module and new artifacts (rather than updating the existing).  Is there a special option for doing this?

Davyd Norris commented Nov 16 '22, 4:48 p.m.
It sounds like you're looking in the right place but maybe the comments weren't where you thought? Comments can be made on artefacts directly, in the context of modules, and in the context of the review itself. The default templates pull from the context in which they are invoked, so you would need to run the Review report to get review specific comments, and the Module report for module specific.

You cannot 'round trip' a Word document because there's nothing inside a Word doc that uniquely identifies a sentence or paragraph, so you can't reconcile an import with an existing one within DNG. On first import you can bring in any existing comments in the Word doc as module specific DNG comments - as I said above "there's no way to import comment replies back into DNG from external sources. "

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.