It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is it possible to avoid add the work item creator to subscribers?

Carlos Isacovich (59111) | asked Oct 08 '22, 7:58 p.m.
edited Oct 08 '22, 8:01 p.m.
I created some work items templates in a common process area to helping create those work items in several project areas that will be after customized in each of those areas. Each of these templates create about 100 work items.
If it arises necessary modifying any of those templates, the natural way is creating the work items with that template and add, delete or modify some of those work items just created.
The problem is that when created the work items, automatically they are subscribed by the creator. Then, when creating the template again with the modified work item list, it becomes unusable in other repositories, where reside destination project areas (because the creator is valid only in the same repository). So, we need to remove the subscriber in each of these work items. Regrettably, it can't be done using the Edit Multiple Work Items function, because these attribute doesn't appear in the attributes list selector (because it is a multiple value attribute).
Is there any way to avoid including the work item creator in the subscribers list?

2 answers

permanent link
Don Yang (7.7k21109138) | answered Oct 09 '22, 11:08 p.m.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Oct 10 '22, 3:54 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Carlos,

I am not totally sure what you experience. Here what I can explain. 
1. The creator of a work item is always automatically added as subscriber of the work item. This is a feature of EWM/RTC and not related to work item templates. I am not aware that there is a way to prevent this from happening.
2. You can export and import work item templates. If you export the template, you can see what information is set. I have done this and the creator as subscriber is not an information that is automatically added to the template. The creator is added in the work item creation process.
3. If you use a work item template to create work items, you would be in a project area where you as a user are permitted to create work items, so i do not understand the issue.

Comments
Carlos Isacovich commented Oct 10 '22, 8:22 a.m.
Thank you for your quick answer, Ralph.
I'll try to explain better my problem. It is related with the template updates. When I need modifying some of the work items that are created by the template, I need to recreate the template. So, I generate the work items using the original template, I modify, delete or add some new work items, and then recreate the template. But in this case, since I need to use that new template in different repositories (e.g. testing and production ones), work items used to create the new version must not contain subscribers.
So, I need to delete the subscriber (myself) in each of those work items (perhaps 300).
Of course, it is possible to develop a follow-up action to do it automatically, but I put my question trying to avoid developing it.

Ralph Schoon commented Oct 10 '22, 10:01 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I do not think there is a way to avoid this. I have looked but did not find anything. I think there is likely no way to change the behavior. If you can get the work items in a query, you could try to use the work item command line to delete the subscribers. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.