It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How can I count sending of email notifications / emails

Martin Juninger (134) | asked Sep 15 '22, 4:09 a.m.

Hi together
We need some statistic information over the number of emails which was send bei the Jazz/RTC System !
- How many emails was send per day ?
- How many emails was send until current time ?
- How many emals was send in time period ?

We need this information for our SMTP Server, because we have to order a duration of our emails from our RTC System (example 500 mails per 6 hours, 1000 mails/6h, 2000 mails/6h, ...)

How can I "count" sending of email notifications or emails in the JAZZ / RTC System ?

I hope someone can help me by telling a way on which i can do this.

Regards
Martin

2 answers

permanent link
David Honey (1.8k17) | answered Sep 15 '22, 4:31 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I'm not aware of any means to do this other than monitor the SMTP server that your JTS is configured to use. Looking at com.ibm.team.repository.service.compatibility.internal.mailer.MailerService and com.ibm.team.repository.service.jts.internal.mailer.MailerService I see no logging of successfully sent email.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Sep 15 '22, 6:35 a.m.

I would suggest to try to log this in your Mail Server. You can do this by using the sender address, I think.

Comments
Martin Juninger commented Sep 15 '22, 7:15 a.m.

The RTC/Jts Server has no MAIL SERVER. that has only a SMTP CLIENT.

We have no access in our company to the phyiscal MAIL SERVER.
We have to count the emails on the smtp client side.
That´s means in JTS or by monitoring the SMTP Port 25 for out going emails.

Thanks
Martin

Ralph Schoon commented Sep 15 '22, 7:57 a.m. | edited Sep 15 '22, 7:58 a.m.
I am aware that JTS has no MAIL SERVER, it has only a  com.ibm.team.repository.service.IMailerService that is a service to send mails for the Jazz tools and is a client to some other MAIL SERVER. I did not suggest you can monitor that 

I am not aware of internal monitoring of this. I checked the MBeans https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/MBeansReference and couldn't find anything obvious. 

"Clients" are not an ideal place to try to do monitoring. It is not really the business of the JTS server application to provide monitoring for such stuff. You can submit an idea to add monitoring MBeans for this, however.

I think this is now driven by the fact that no-one does seem to have any access to their vital infrastructure anymore and try to  push collecting metrics to the parts they still control. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.