It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Change Set Delivery in DNG

Chidambaram L (23414178) | asked Feb 27 '22, 12:38 p.m.
edited Feb 28 '22, 1:23 a.m.
In DNG 702, Stream A ( Initial Stream ) has branched into Stream 1 & Stream 2. Stream 1 represents Variant 1 & Stream 2 represents Variant 2.

There are common changes & change specific to Variant 1. Common changes should be accepted in Stream 2 ( ie Variant 2 ). When Accepting Change Set in Stream 2 from Stream 1, how to identify the common changes. Should common changes & unique changes be recorded in different Change Sets ? Should they be identified through Change Set Names ?

What is the purpose of Stream A here, when I am able to Accept Changes from Stream 1 to Stream 2 directly.

Alternately, is the following structure fine. High Perf & Low Perf are the 2 variants.
Low Perf Stream is created from High Perf Stream

One answer

permanent link
Richard Hall (107211) | answered Feb 28 '22, 11:27 a.m.

Although I am not an expert at this, my opinion is as follows

Common changes should be in Stream A and preferably made in that stream.

If the common change is made in Stream 1 or Stream 2 then it is should be merged back to Stream A rather than going directly to the other stream.

The purpose of Stream A is to contain the common artifacts.  Without this it is difficult to know which changes are common and which are unique.

In my experience it is difficult to merge only some changes between streams.  I always end up with a lot of 'dependent' change sets.  However, if you have the common artifacts and unique artifacts in different modules this problem may be mitigated.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.