It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

DNG 7.0.3 create attribute using built-in boolean

Michael Sweger (131) | asked Apr 21, 9:35 a.m.
DNG 7.0.3 installed and I created a user-defined artifact attribute for use called CPR   (critical performance requirement) that was assigned the artifact data type using the built-in boolean type. When I try to assign a default value of "false" to the CPR attribute, all the check boxes aren't selectable except for "true".  When assigned via a template as the module default, this default attribute value of false (nor none or true) doesn't show up in module requirement specification type when data is imported from a file.  I expect that when the requirement specification module is created, that the default view based on the template is assigned with the CPR attribute appearing in the heading (it does). Then when I import an rtf, or docx, or csv or even manually enter a requirement that the CPR data value would show "false" due to me assigning it as the default value (it doesn't) not even when I assign it the default value of "true".  So this is a bug I think.   Then I replaced the built-in boolean with my enumerated MyBoolean data type of true/false and repeated the steps and even this will not show the default value on the module view that is assigned when I enter a requirement in the module. I've tried to do the same by changing myboolean enumerated to a string with an initial value (doesn't work).

So the default built-in boolean checkbox isn't working correctly.  I'm not sure why the default value for CPR doesn't appear when a requirement is entered for either the built-in or user-defined boolean data type or string. Could be operator error on my part somehow?
On another note, all user-defined artifact attributes assigned to a view will not allow me to edit their data value for an entered requirement. The icon shows a red box with an X. I don't know why since I created the module and user-defined attributes and I'm the admin of this DNG installed instance....

Accepted answer

permanent link
Diana Kraaijeveld (57727) | answered Apr 22, 7:01 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
As far as I know you could never specifically assign 'False' to an attribute of data type Boolean?'
If its checked it means its set to 'True', if its unchecked it means its set to 'False'
So the 'unassigned' option is in fact irrelevant, since its similar to 'Not True', meaning it's 'False'.
I agree that the 'Initial Value' selection options for the attribute in the component properties is confusing. Since you can try to select 'False' and then it switches to 'True', which is confusing.
And indeed I see the same behavior when modifying the 'boolean attribute' value of an artifact:
It should three options 'True', 'False' and 'Unassigned'. But only 'True' can be selected.
As mentioned, the fact that you can only select 'True' seems correct - but it should not show the other options in my opinion.
I  recommend that you open a support ticket for the behavior that you describe, so we can bring it to developments attention and confirm the correct behavior, etc.

The fact that default values are not getting assigned as expected (also for enum attributes):
- You need to be aware that, if you select a certain default value for an attribute in the component properties: Only newly created artifacts that of a type that has this attribute assigned, will get this default value assigned. Existing artifacts will not be updated.

I am not entirely sure about the behavior you describe about the fact that you cannot modify certain values. That seems to be a permission problem. Note that permissions can be very fine grained, even on attribute level for a certain workflow state, for example. So best check that with your project administrator first.

Michael Sweger selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
Michael Sweger (131) | answered Apr 22, 7:24 a.m.
@diana - Thanks at least some one is seeing what I see in terms of how the Artifact Attribute for the built-in boolen data types initial value is acting.. Whew!  I thought my eyes were playing tricks after long hours on the DNG tool.
Yep, one would intuitively think that when I check a box for false that it stays checked, and the same for the rest. At least MyBoolean enumerated type is working the way its expected.

As for why I'm getting the red X for an attribute value when I try to change the value for a given user-defined attribute type is because I didn't assign it to an Artifact Type and only had the Artifact Attribute in my modules heading. I thought about permissions, but I was the creator of the module and attributes and am the administrator since I'm using the trial license of DNG (60 day limit to learn about DNG before it expires - not enough time when coming from DOORS  classic) on a laptop to experiment with. I found a youtube video by chance that told me how to set this up to get the imported CSV values to assign to my user-defined attributes. However, there are still some assignment issues. I.E. I have a "must" requirement with an Artifact Type of "Requirement", but DNG overrides this and assigns the tools "System Requirement" Artifact Type to it. I don't know why since my other user-defined heading attributes were setup the same way and will import my data to them correctly.  Of course, my CSV has a column for Artifact Type with my definitions that it should be using during import. Maybe DNG sees "must" or "shall" in the requirement and assigns its Artifact Type instead of mine.  I don't think DNG has AI yet! :)

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.