It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

function jazzdata and jazztemp files in /SQL**** directory and how to shrink

Fons Maathuis (25417) | asked Oct 27 '21, 2:50 a.m.

We do use ELM v 7.0.2 with DB2 v 11.1.4.5, In several subdirectories in /DB2/NODE0000/SQL**** we do find jazzdata and jazztemp files. Most of them are max 4GB, but there is one that uses 56GB diskspace. I have two questions. 
1. What is the function of these files, obviously not created by DB2 but by ELM, so reorg has no effec on them.
2. How can I reduce the size of these files, as diskspace is not infinite.

regards

Fons

Accepted answer

permanent link
Gary Johnston (16) | answered Nov 02 '21, 1:58 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Yes.

Fons Maathuis selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Fons Maathuis commented Nov 03 '21, 2:33 a.m.

Ok, thanks. That, unfortunatly, doesn't solve my problem. We do reorg every month. But as you and Ian said, apparently the only solution is creating more diskspace.

regards

Fons

2 other answers

permanent link
Ian Barnard (2.1k613) | answered Oct 27 '21, 3:38 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

These files will be entirely managed by DB2 in providing database functionality for ELM including DOORS Next. You must manage the available diskspace of your database server to provide whatever is needed - the last thing you want to happen is for DB2 to run out of disk.

Comments
Fons Maathuis commented Oct 27 '21, 3:56 a.m.

jazzdata Hi Ian, 

a jazzdata file that uses 56GB diskspace, there should be possibilities to reduce this a bit. If these files are managed by DB2, I'd expect that there will be an utility to reorganize these files. As I said, diskspace is not infinite, I can't keep providing diskspace. There should be a way to maximize the size of these files.  

regards

Fons 

permanent link
Gary Johnston (16) | answered Oct 29 '21, 10:39 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Ian's answer is correct. This is the file DB2 uses to store data in. As you continue using the ELM application you will continue to add data to it as you create new DOORS Next requirements, etc., so it will tend to continue to grow over time.

That said, there may be ways to have DB2 "reorganize" or "compact" the file from time to time. You'll need to consult DB2 documentation for how to do that. But again, as you add more artifacts in the ELM application, the data file will tend to grow over time after you do that.

Comments
Fons Maathuis commented Nov 02 '21, 12:01 p.m. | edited Nov 02 '21, 1:57 p.m.

Gary, 

I know about reorg, reindex and runstats in DB2. Are these the utils you refer to? 

regards
Fons

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.