It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Check in and accept

Ziqi Fan (112) | asked Apr 23 '21, 3:49 p.m.

Hi,

As I accepted changes, I was told that local changes may be overwritten if not checked in. I am wondering, if I have modified one file, will accept without checking in totally overwrite that file? Also, if I have created a new file in my sandbox that cannot be found in the remote server, will accepting without checking in make that new file disappear? Also, if I select check in and accept, what would happen?

One answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Apr 23 '21, 8:00 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Yes, if you accept a new version of a file without having checked-in your current modifications to that file, those changes will be overwritten.   There are ways that will often let you recover those overwritten changes (see  https://jazz.net/library/article/191 for details), but the safest and simplest approach is to just checkin your current changes whenever you get that "may overwrite local changes" warning.

Comments
Ziqi Fan commented Apr 23 '21, 8:07 p.m. | edited Apr 23 '21, 8:07 p.m.

So accept means to accept changes from remote stream into the remote repository, and to load the changes into your local sandbox. These two steps are completed as a whole in accept.

Then if I have modified a file and have checked in my change but have not delivered the change, then the change only stays in my repository. Correct me if I am wrong. Then what if I accept a change that modifies the same file whose local change has been checked into my repository? In my understanding, the accept loads the remote change into my repository, which conflicts my own check in. What happens then?

By the way, is there a good way to systematically understand the behavior of the version control system without a admin account? I would like to do tests myself to get familiar. Thanks.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Apr 23 '21, 8:40 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

You will want to use the terminology in the GUI and on-line help to avoid confusion.

In particular, I recommend using the terms "stream" (not "remote stream" ), "repository workspace" (not "remote repository" or "repository"), and "sandbox" (not "local sandbox").

The repository workspace and stream is stored in the server's database;  the sandbox is stored in the disk of your client machine.   When you check-in a change, it is stored in the repository workspace, so it is on the server, and cannot be overwritten or lost.  If you try to accept a change that modifies a checked in file (and that change is not a successor of the checked in file version), then you will get a "conflict", which the GUI will help you resolve (commonly, by merging the two changes).   The checked in file version continues to exist in the server.   You should be able to experiment with all this as a regular user ... no need to have an admin account.   

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.