It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Joining artefacts using Split and Join Widget resulted in the 2 artefacts removed and no new joined artefact created, what causes this?

Adrian Nurman (111) | asked Jul 20 '20, 1:29 a.m.
Environment IBM DOORS Next 6.0.6.1 iFix007.

Within a module, attempted to join 2 artefacts using Split and Join Widget. The followings steps were followed:
1. Selected 2 artefacts
2. Clicked 'Join Artifacts' button on the Split and Join widget

The 2 selected artefacts disappeared. No new join artefact is created.

We attempted to search using words/text within the module, no matching artefact is found.

We attempted to search using words/text using the Search Artifacts in Current Project, no matching artefact is found.

This has happened at least 3 times.

There have been successful join attempts, however (this may be a separate issue) there are also cases where artefacts are joined however in the incorrect order.  For example:
Artefact 1 contains "ABC"
Artefact 2 contain "DEF"
The 2 artefacts are in that order within the module.

When the artefacts are joined, it shows:
"DEF
 ABC"

One answer

permanent link
Richard Hall (107211) | answered Jul 20 '20, 10:46 a.m.

I believe that the second problem will occur when you select the second artifact first.

The 'joined' artifacts are merged into the first selected artifact and added after the text for that artifact

Comments
Adrian Nurman commented Jul 20 '20, 7:46 p.m.
Hi Richard,

That is not correct.  I have retested and ensured that I selected the first artefact (the one above) first, and then the one below.  The 2 artefacts are joined to the one below. 
I do note the description on the Split and Join widget does say that the 2 artefacts will be joined to the first artefact.

After a few tests, by changing the order of selecting the artefacts and rearranging the order of the artefacts within the module, my conclusion is the 2 artefacts are joined into the artefact which has a larger DOORS ID.

I believe this is not how it's supposed to work.

Richard Hall commented Jul 20 '20, 8:06 p.m.

Weird.  That is not what I see. I have IBM DOORS Next 6.0.6 (not 6.0.6.1).

I just tested again and get the behavior that I described above, the artifacts are merged into the first one selected. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.