It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Size Limit of Source Control - Attribute Definition

Rakesh A (33431) | asked Jul 08 '20, 4:28 a.m.
edited Jul 08 '20, 4:36 a.m.
Hello,
   RTC:  Could you let me know the Size Limit of type 'String' for each attribute in Source Control - Attribute Definition ?

Thanks
Rakesh

Comments
Katie Neale commented Jul 14 '20, 2:44 p.m. | edited Jul 14 '20, 4:28 p.m.

Thanks for this topic. I was going to post the same problem and now I find a solution! 

Accepted answer

permanent link
Shashikant Padur (4.2k27) | answered Jul 08 '20, 5:01 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

The limit is 250 bytes and the limit is enforced when you apply these attributes to the items and not when the attribute is created.

Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Rakesh A commented Jul 08 '20, 5:11 a.m. | edited Jul 08 '20, 5:16 a.m.

I was just trying to manually set the value and got below error for more than 1001 bytes is not allowed. Could you confirm ?

Rakesh A commented Jul 08 '20, 5:17 a.m.

Here is the error :  Validation errors for item:Value of attribute mediumStringExtensions.value is 1001 bytes, which is greater than the allowed encoded length of 1000 bytes.

Shashikant Padur commented Jul 08 '20, 5:26 a.m. | edited Jul 08 '20, 5:27 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Which client are you using to apply the attributes? Eclipse, CLI or Web.

Ralph Schoon commented Jul 08 '20, 5:27 a.m. | edited Jul 08 '20, 5:28 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
This is an error that comes up when you create a medium text work item attribute and put more data than 1000 bytes in.

It has nothing to do with the question you asked about 'String' type attributes in RTC SCM.

Shashikant Padur commented Jul 08 '20, 5:38 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Ralph,
I see a difference in behavior between the Eclipse client and Web client. The Eclipse client allows maximum of 128 characters (limited by UI) where as the Web client allows maximum of 250 characters (not sure where this limit is coming from).
Rakesh is seeing an error with 1000 bytes and that this why I asked that question.

Ralph Schoon commented Jul 08 '20, 5:45 a.m. | edited Jul 08 '20, 5:50 a.m.
Hi Shashi, the 1000 bytes (1 thousand bytes) message in Rakesh's comment above is pretty likely not related to the SCM attributes. It is a work item attribute related thing.

I tried to attach an image, but that does not work at the moment.

Rakesh A commented Jul 08 '20, 5:46 a.m.
I was using Eclipse Client.
Actually, in the RTC web UI while creating new Attribute definition under source control, there is only of type 'String'. So I want to know the size limit of this value.

Shashikant Padur commented Jul 08 '20, 5:56 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Ralph, go it. Thanks. I got confused because the original question was about Source Control -> Attribute Definition.

Ralph Schoon commented Jul 08 '20, 6:20 a.m.

I would suggest Rakesh tries to get the messages and the context straight. Otherwise, your answer is likely correct for SCM attributes. The UI's might impose more restrictions. I have not tried what yu can do in which UI with the SCM attributes.

Rakesh A commented Jul 08 '20, 6:36 a.m.

So, what it the size limit ? I didn't get it clearly.

Ralph Schoon commented Jul 08 '20, 6:46 a.m.
1. For SCM Attributes it is (cited from this answer)

The limit is 250 bytes and the limit is enforced when you apply these attributes to the items and not when the attribute is created.

Note that this is the internal limit, a UI might limit that further.

2. For work item attributes of type medium string

The limit is 1000 bytes.

Rakesh A commented Jul 09 '20, 2:42 a.m.
It is in SCM Attribute & the system logs are saying it's of type MediumString therefore we can store upto 1000 bytes. It doesn't match with your comment but we need that behavior (1000bytes of limit for SCM attribute).
Can you investigate and confirm why there is a difference in the documentation and the actual behavior before we proceed with our software ?
[We are developing a software that needs 1000bytes for an SCM attributes].

showing 5 of 12 show 7 more comments

2 other answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jul 09 '20, 8:47 a.m.
edited Jul 09 '20, 8:49 a.m.
The limit for SCM String Attributes (Admin: Source Control>Attribute Definition) is 250 bytes. There is only one type named String. This is the only type and it has the limit 250 bytes. There is no larger attribute type, because there is only one and that has a size limit of 250.

Work Item Attributes (Admin: Work Items>Types and Attributes) of type String support a type mediumString that has a limit of 1000 bytes. There are other types such as largeString that support bigger sizes.These are work item attributes and not SCM atributes.

Comments
Rakesh A commented Jul 10 '20, 12:37 a.m.
We have double checked it.. the attribute we are checking is SCM Attribute & the system logs are saying it's of type MediumString in the exception message therefore there is a possibility to store upto 1000 bytes. But It doesn't match with your comment.

Can you investigate and confirm why there is a difference in the documentation and the actual behavior before we proceed with our software implementation ?

Exception thrown while accessing SCM attribute:
com.ibm.team.repository.common.validation.PropertyConstraintException: Validation errors for item: type = BaselineSet, itemId = [UUID _xZYhAFotEeqr7-uU_judfA]
       Value of attribute "mediumStringExtensions.value" is 1001 bytes, which is greater than the allowed encoded length of 1000 bytes

(We need this behavior of 1000bytes limit for SCM attribute as we are developing a software that needs 1000bytes for an SCM attributes).

Ralph Schoon commented Jul 10 '20, 4:22 a.m.

I would suggest to create a case with support then. 

permanent link
Rakesh A (33431) | answered Jul 15 '20, 12:31 a.m.

I got confirmation from support executive for my case that the custom attributes are of type medium string attributes, so the max length for them is 1000 bytes.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.