It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Loading of RTC Work Item with >1000 Child Links extremely slow

Ulrich Simon (1513) | asked Sep 24 '20, 10:53 a.m.

I have a Work Item in RTC which is is linked as Parent to around 1600 Child Work Items. The loading of one Child Work Item is quite normal, but the loading time of the Parent Work Item into the Web Client is extremely slow, no user may want to wait for many minutes until the Work Item is finally loaded.

I understand, that I can solve the issue by removing the links.
But I want to get some more understanding, what is causing this long loading time. To load a list of 1600 links should not be a big issue. What prevents RTC to create and load the page fast? Is there a check of the linked Work Items in the background running?
Many thanks for any technical reference.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Sep 24 '20, 12:01 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
My 2 cents. It should be clear that bigger is not necessarily better in IT.

If you load the work item in a browser, you can enable network debug and see what consumes the time.

As far as I know all that data needs to be retrieved from the database and loaded to be able to display it and be able to modify/update the work item.

There are several examples where high numbers cause load delays. Some have been cacheable and are now cached. Links can not be cached.
Ulrich Simon selected this answer as the correct answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.