It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RMC and RTC. Which tool do we need

Uma venkata Lekkala (52519) | asked Nov 12 '09, 3:26 p.m.
Hi,
We are trying to adapt rational tools for our enterprise level process management. We are really confused between Rational method composer and rational team concert. What is the difference? Do we need both? We are assuming either one is enough for our needs. Which one is better? They both seem to address the same issues. TEAM COLLABORATION across cross functional, globally located and team communication across anywhere in the world and overall project picture and custom processes, project phases etc. They both seem to address the same issues?

Thank you

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Mar 18 '10, 5:25 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Please check http://open-services.net which I expect will bring all those together in the future.

Doors and RRC are already integrated now. Doors is for Requirements MANAGEMENT and RRC for communication and around FINDING/IDENTIFYING requirements.

Other tools address different needs and industries also. RTC has a basic SCM component but ClearCase has many options some enterprises historically needed not available in RTC yet. The same for RRC, Dorrs and other potential pairs.

Also Jazz/OSLC and the products based upon it like RTC are a major technology and paradigm change if looking from the perspective of our tools that have been on the marked for years now.

Ralph

Thank you!

We managed to integrate RMC with RTC and RTC with RQM and RRC. Its going great. I think Rational jazz has a very great future ahead. User interface and reporting capabilities are very good especially on the RTC end.

What bothers me is why IBM produces redundant tools like clearquest and then RTC and RQM, Like DOORS and now RRC.
Uma venkata Lekkala selected this answer as the correct answer

5 other answers

permanent link
Tamir Klinger (91165) | answered Nov 16 '09, 10:49 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,
We are trying to adapt rational tools for our enterprise level process management. We are really confused between Rational method composer and rational team concert. What is the difference? Do we need both? We are assuming either one is enough for our needs. Which one is better? They both seem to address the same issues. TEAM COLLABORATION across cross functional, globally located and team communication across anywhere in the world and overall project picture and custom processes, project phases etc. They both seem to address the same issues?

Thank you

Hi,

This is probably better posted to the Rational Team Concert forum but here's a short answer.

Rational Team Concert is primarily a team software development environment. It supports development planning, tracking work to be done (e.g. enhancements, tasks, defects etc.), source code management, builds, reports and notifications, roles, teams, projects etc. and allows a very customizable process for it all.

Rational Method Composer focuses specifically on providing support for authoring, publishing, and educating stakeholders on processes and best-practices (see http://www-01.ibm.com/software/awdtools/rmc/features/index.html?S_CMP=rnav).

Hope this helps,
Tim Klinger

permanent link
Uma venkata Lekkala (52519) | answered Jan 26 '10, 12:35 p.m.
Thank you!

We managed to integrate RMC with RTC and RTC with RQM and RRC. Its going great. I think Rational jazz has a very great future ahead. User interface and reporting capabilities are very good especially on the RTC end.

What bothers me is why IBM produces redundant tools like clearquest and then RTC and RQM, Like DOORS and now RRC.

permanent link
Jean Grey (6) | answered Oct 04 '10, 11:24 p.m.
Great forum!!! I have learned a lot here!! Thanks for sharing guys!!

permanent link
joe raman (6) | answered Oct 05 '10, 2:05 a.m.
Hi,

Thank you

Can you describe briefly?

permanent link
Mahesh Pillala (611) | answered Mar 23 '11, 5:18 p.m.
Thank you!

Hello,
Can you please give some information on some the questions below?
1) What was integrated between RMC and RTC (Tasks, Milestones, Roles, Work Flows etc?) (I only know that the integration happens by exporting and importing work item template)
2) How is data managed when there is change in the process? 3)I understand that all the tasks / activities / milestones, etc. come into RTC as Work Items (Tasks) but is there a direct relationship between RMC and RTC, so that these work items again need not be reconfigured in RTC to go into the right category?
4) Were you able to define Roles and Associate the Activity to Roles in RMC?

Thanks in advance.
Mahesh

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.