It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Change formal PM process template to use Agile Scheduler?

Glyn Costello (13838) | asked Nov 01 '19, 5:04 a.m.

Hi, 

Is it possible to take my Formal Project Management template and change it to instead use the Agile scheduler instead of the traditional scheduler by editing the XML?

4 answers

permanent link
Matt Muller (59813574) | answered Nov 13 '19, 5:44 a.m.
edited Nov 13 '19, 5:45 a.m.
Glyn,
I've just noticed you asked the same question which was raised yesterday.

You need to consider the impacts to what you are suggesting and the design of each template scheduler.
The design of each uses different objects such as:  Work items (with workflows),  States, Plans and Plan views, reports etc. (but you knew that I guess)
I would suggest you look to Migrate from FPM (if you have any data) to Agile template and understand the connection between "Agile work items" Plan views / Quickplanner views etc. first.

I have seen it talked about / done but the design of each is very different.
- however saying that - I do not know what is in your RTC template...  how it was created/customized etc.

If you are looking at this in a Dev/Test environment to see the impacts then I could find the details if you wish?
Matt Muller

permanent link
Glyn Costello (13838) | answered Oct 19 '20, 1:17 p.m.

Hi, I'm just coming back to this topic. Basically, we created our master PA template with customised work items and work flows starting from a "Formal PM" out of the box template. A lot of work as gone into the work items to make them relevant to our business and the formal PM process template was closest to our already existing way of working. However, we are interested in moving from a water-fall type scheduling process to more of an iteration/scrum type scheduling process. Presumably, the work item types, etc. are not critical to the scheduling method? IS there a way (through editing of the master process template xml) to change the scheduler from the traditional scheduler to Agile scheduler (whilst maintaining my custom work items)?

permanent link
Davyd Norris (2.2k217) | answered Oct 19 '20, 7:26 p.m.

If you use phase plans for your Sprint plans, rank your plan items, and do not use dependencies (predecessor/successor) then you'll end up with the way an Agile sprint plan works - tasks are always done in rank order and the critical path is just a staircase of ranked tasks

permanent link
Matt Muller (59813574) | answered Oct 26 '20, 1:21 p.m.
edited Oct 26 '20, 1:25 p.m.

Glyn,

It comes down to the Scheduler within the RTC configuration (or it did back in V4 - assume it's not changed);  as I understand you can edit the template but the impacts and configurations of Plans Plan views etc. would be too much of a risk to change your master.  You may find some posts on here which explain the part of the XLM that drives it.  (or someone may point out in your version V6 ot V7 - it's not the same?)

I would consider a NEW Master Template version for "Agile" (to protect the other FPM projects) which you could copy parts of the Work Item, Attributes, permissions in the XML from the FPM version and slice them together...  this is a very complex operation but I've done it with lots of testing.  or you essentially recreate the work items in the Agile "base" templates.

Matt Muller

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.