It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

In RTC, how can I rank a task from one project higher than a task in another project?

Glyn Costello (13636) | asked Oct 30 '19, 1:37 p.m.

In a formal management project...  i.e. if I am managing a team, and I have someone working on two or three different projects, 50% on one, 30% on another and 20% on another, each has tasks, each has a plan, RTC has applied levelling, and adjusted the scheduling. 

How can I tell RTC that a task in project A should be worked on before project B? Within a project, this would be "ranking"... how does it work across projects and how can I vary it?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Oct 31 '19, 4:05 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Oct 31 '19, 4:06 a.m.

I am not sure you can do that.

As far as I know, the ranking lives in a plan and a plan is scoped to its owner and an iteration. All these concepts are local to a project area. The Traditional planning provides a successor/predecessor relationship that, as far as I can tell, is only used within a plan - so local to a project area.

Cross project planning basically allows you to track plan items across project areas, but it does not provide any means I am aware of to prioritize any of the tracked plan items. Successor/Predecessor does not work at this level as far as I know. 

Glyn Costello selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
Ian Wark (79713450) | answered Oct 31 '19, 2:25 a.m.
When it is in a single formal plan I think you can use dependencies and constraints:
https://jazz.net/library/article/657

To do this across projects, you might be able to use a cross-project plan. You set up the tracking and it will provide a schedule, based on the other plans that it references.

Have a look at this link:

Knowledge Center

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.