It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

DOORS NG - RM - How to default artifact template in by folder type when user creates a new artifact

Ricci Paetzold (134) | asked Jun 19 '19, 9:10 a.m.
edited Jun 20 '19, 7:52 a.m.

We are currently working to implement DNG 6.0.4 ifix013

We would like based on folder type, when the user selects "new artifact" - to default the artifact predefined for that folder. Is there a way that we could configure a true default based on folder. I have included screen shots.

FOLDER: SELECTED = USER STORIES

ACTION selected = CREATE ARTIFACT

Can I default in the VALUES HIGHLIGHTED BASED on the folder?

<RP 2019-06-20> ADD ON

would it be possible to force our preferred template in by editing this in the form page? changing it from "NONE" to i.e. 'USER STORY TEMPLATE"?

Comments
Carol Watson commented Jun 19 '19, 1:44 p.m.

Hi Ricci,

I don't know of a way to limit the Create options to match a folder selection but what we do is name the Folder the same as primary Artifact Type (i.e., not Heading, which we apply to all Module Artifact Types).

For example, if your folder = User Stories you could name your Artifact Type = User Story. In Project Properties for the User Story Artifact Type, check the box  "Make this artifact type a preferred artifact type". That makes the Artifact Type appear first in the list of available artifact types for Create (they appear in alphabetical order).  

It's not perfect, but it works pretty well for us.  You could also number the folders and the artifact types to match if you think that would help. 

Regards,
Carol

Accepted answer

permanent link
Carol Watson (735119) | answered Jun 20 '19, 9:07 a.m.

I haven't found a way to default the Template, but once you select it, then next time you create that artifact type it will remember and default to that value.  Unfortunately that's on an individual basis.

Carol

Ricci Paetzold selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ricci Paetzold commented Jun 20 '19, 12:39 p.m.

Thank you Carol. I am aware of this behavior but really was hoping for a configurable assignment so that our DNG users could focus strictly on our deliverables and not worry that the template was applied to our artifact.

I have submitted an enhancement request. Again thank you for your assistance.

rp

2 other answers

permanent link
Ricci Paetzold (134) | answered Jun 20 '19, 7:43 a.m.

Thank you Carol.

We do  have the folders numbered in the order that they would typically be used and followed by the artifact type. I.E. 01-User Stories. Templates have been created for each and as you have described, the artifacts are offered in Alphabetic Order. The check box "Make this artifact type a preferred artifact type was not checked" - but when I did check it and saved the change, it did not make any difference to what we originally had. I did take the steps to clear the local cache and logged out and back in - just in case any or all of these steps were required for the change to take affect.

When we select the desired artifact, the template is offered as none, so we still need to manually select the template. Is there a way to remove the "none" option so that only the template is offered? I can/will create another entry for this question if preferred.

thank you for responding. very much appreciated.

Ricci

permanent link
Ricci Paetzold (134) | answered Jun 20 '19, 7:54 a.m.

I have a question regarding on

could we edit the NONE value and change it to our preferred template?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.