It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can I switch from using a RTC shared process to using original process RTC project was created with

Bob Ferguson (891139) | asked Mar 26 '19, 1:06 p.m.
 I am currently using RTC 6.0.5

I created a RTC project using the SCRUM process and made very few changes to permissions or pre/post conditions.

This project has been in use for a good while.

I have since created a master SCRUM process project and created multiple unconfigured RTC projects which then use the master SCRUM process.  The same changes made to the first SCRUM project were made to the master SCRUM project and now all projects look and feel the same.

I have now been asked to have the first project use the master project so that changes only need to be made to one project.  This leads me to some questions. 

1) Can the RTC project created using the SCRUM project be switched to using the shared master SCRUM process?  I believe that the answer to this is yes.

2) In the master SCRUM project, do I have to check the  Final (ignore customization of this data in child project areas) selection for everything (work item types, flows, attributes, permissions etc...)?  I believe the answer to this is yes.

3) If I change the RTC project to use the master SCRUM project, use it for a while without making any changes to the master SCRUM project, can I change it back to not using the share master SCRUM project and everything will be as it was.  I don't know the answer to this.

I am looking for someone to confirm or deny my answers to 1 and 2 and possibly give me an answer to 3.

Thanks in advance

Accepted answer

permanent link
Guido Schneider (3.4k1486115) | answered Mar 27 '19, 3:15 a.m.

Hello Bob

Generally you can switch in both direction, if the two processes are nearly the same, specially regarding custom attributes, used enumerations and states etc..
Main issue are existing Work Items, using values e.g. a state that does not exist in the other process.

But you cannot do it just by switching the process sharing in process admin page.
You need to activly manage the change with the Eclipse Client in process admin.

a) changes to be done on the Project Area when from unshared to share
- replace whole XML definition by the empty one from a Project Area  based on the unconfigured process.
- remove at least all javascripts from the process attachments

b) changes to be done on the Project Area when switching from shared to unshared
- replace the XML definition by the one from the shared process
- add all missing process attachments from the shared

After this the switch works, but as said above, the Work Items may need massage regarding enumerations and states and maybe also new attributes need to be synchronized.

This answers 1) and 3)
For 2) the final flag can be set according your needs. This is independent and not all must be set to final.
E.g. I recommend to set final for adding new attributes, enumerations etc.. All what influence the data.
But e.g. Permissions I allow the Project to change. Also adding new Roles etc..

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards
Guido

Bob Ferguson selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Bob Ferguson commented Mar 28 '19, 11:09 a.m.

If I replace the XML definition is there any effect on baselines, snapshots, streams, component and child component setup, or change sets?  There may be other things however, what I trying to say is if I change the XML definition will only the work items, permissions and operational behavior be affected?

Geoffrey Clemm commented Mar 29 '19, 2:50 p.m. | edited Mar 29 '19, 2:50 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

in general, to know what the XML definition can affect, just look at the "Process Configuration" page in the Eclipse client (that is the "human readable" form of the XML).  In particular, the XML has no affect on baselines, snapshots, streams, and components, other than defining the permissions and operational behavior of creating new instances of one of those objects.

Bob Ferguson commented Apr 03 '19, 3:35 p.m.

You are right about the XML on the Process Configuration page however, I am very new to XML and I am not at the point where I trust myself.  I am doing some testing and so far what you have said is true.  I am going to talk to the customer and see if they wish to proceed.  If they say yes, I will still make sure it's done on a week end so that we can test and that they have everything backed up.  Thank you for taking the time and reviewing my question.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.