It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Compare StramA & B and deliver change sets from StramA to StreamB?

Tanveer Zubair (21213) | asked Jan 23 '19, 2:58 p.m.
edited Jan 23 '19, 3:22 p.m. by David Lafreniere (4.8k7)
My team works two releases at a time, and having two streams StreamA and StreamB.  All of the changes from A to B is always needed.  We like to automate, as Stream A receives a change-set it should deliver to Stream B, but not overwrite B.  The stream B have some other changes which are not in A and we don't want and like to replace B with A.   I know Green stream concept in related scenario and can be achieved via Post-Build Delivery of build definition option.

Please advise.

Thanks

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jan 24 '19, 2:49 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
 " should deliver to Stream B, but not overwrite B"

This does not make sense to me.

In general it is possible to set a stream as the flow target of another stream. It is possible to set stream B as flow target of Stream A. If this is done one can use the pending changes view to flow changes from stream A to stream B. This only works if there is no merge conflict.

In case of merge conflicts, as always you have to use a repository workspace with multiple flow target to merge and deliver changes between streams.  

Comments
Tanveer Zubair commented Jan 24 '19, 10:21 a.m. | edited Jan 24 '19, 1:28 p.m.
Ralph,
    Thanks for the answer and explanation.
I know and I can do manually what I am looking forward , but I like to automate.  
If Stream A receives a change set then like to automatically promote that changeset to Stream B.   We need to keep in mind that Stream B contains other change sets which may or may not be in Stream A, but all change sets of A we need in Stream B.

Please advise considering automation.

Thanks

permanent link
David Lafreniere (4.8k7) | answered Jan 24 '19, 1:34 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
There is no out of the box way to have this automated.
You would either have to manually do the deliveries (as suggested by Ralph) or you would have to write your own server-side asynchronous service that listens to delivery change events, and then delivers the change sets to the desired stream. Keep in mind though (as also pointed out by Ralph) it sounds like there's the possibility of conflicts (since StreamB in your case has more change sets that in StreamA). There is no way to automate a merge, and this would have to done manually by someone using a repository workspace to address the merge, at which point they could deliver the merged change sets to the stream).

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.