It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Excel file corrupted issue in RTC source control

Sneha B (1339) | asked Jan 21 '19, 12:05 p.m.

When the excel file was downloaded, modified and then uploaded back to the RTC cource control, the file is not opening on other user's system. It throws following error: "The file format and extension of 'filename.xls' dont match. The file could be corrupted or unsafe.Unless you trust its source, don't open it. Do you want to open it anyway?" 

Anybody knows what this error is and how can we fix it?

4 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jan 22 '19, 2:50 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

For all I can tell, this is not an RTC error message. This is likely the client or the browser.

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Jan 22 '19, 2:53 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I would check the encoding that is used on the different systems e.g. if that was Linux and Windows mix or something. Note that the tool that was used to edit the file might cause different save formats as well. 

permanent link
Hugh Lippincott (199) | answered Jan 22 '19, 8:35 a.m.

More data needed: From what system to what system: OS, RTC version, MicroSoft Library/applications versions?

Then how was it moved from system to system?
Could be as simple as exported as .xlsx, marked as .xls after transport (email?), what upload instructions?
I agree with Ralph Schoon, doesn't look like an RTC problem.

permanent link
Lorein Watson (111) | answered Feb 04 '19, 5:36 a.m.
edited Feb 04 '19, 5:59 a.m.

The main reason responsible for getting the error is Excel file corruption or the corruption of one or more object in the Excel file. So to fix the error try the given steps one by one:

• First Try to open your ‘.xls or .xlsx’ file by making it ‘read-only’
  • Now click on the ‘Office button’ and then select ‘save’ for a new document or ‘save as’ for the previously saved document.
  • Next, you have to click on the ‘Tools’ and then select ‘General Option’.
  • Last but not the least, click on the ‘read-only’ check-box to make document read-only.
  • Now you have to open a new and blank ‘.xls/.xlsx’ file and then copy the whole data from the corrupted Excel file to this new one. Now simply save this file and try to open it again.

Hope this works for you to recover corrupted Excel file data.

permanent link
Zorro Rono (11) | answered Apr 27 '21, 6:16 a.m.

Hi Sneha, <o:p> </o:p>

I gather that you have uploaded the excel file back to RTC course control and have been facing corruption issues. <o:p> </o:p>

I believe as the error statement correctly suggests the error is being caused due to invalid extension. Don’t worry there are several workarounds to this, I am sharing them below: <o:p> </o:p>

FIX: <o:p> </o:p>

Method 1 – You can Change the Default File Format to Save Excel Workbooks <o:p> </o:p>

• Click File > Options. <o:p> </o:p>
  • Click on the Export option. <o:p> </o:p>
  • Tap on Change File Type option. <o:p> </o:p>
  • Change the file extension, and then click Save As. <o:p> </o:p>

Method 2 – Recover the Unsaved Workbook <o:p> </o:p>

• Navigate to File and select the Info option. <o:p> </o:p>
  • Below Manage Versions,  click on ‘Recover Unsaved Workbooks’ option. <o:p> </o:p>
  • If MS-Excel has unsaved files then, it will list them. You can therefore open and save it. <o:p> </o:p>

Method 3 – Use the 'Open and Repair' Feature of MS Excel <o:p> </o:p>

• Open MS-Excel application. <o:p> </o:p>
  • Navigate to File and Select Open option. <o:p> </o:p>
  • Select the corrupt file and choose Open and Repair option. <o:p> </o:p>

Method 4 -  Use an Excel Repair Software <o:p> </o:p>

While going through such error, I stumbled onto this - https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/63020ccc-51d7-46d9-b956-121c0e6efcc8/excel-file-error-the-file-format-and-extension-dont-match?forum=Office2016ITPro <o:p> </o:p>

<o:p>   </o:p>

<o:p>   </o:p>

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.