It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC: Can you rename teams in Team Area Hierarchy (what are side effects)

Becky McDermott (921139) | asked Nov 01 '18, 6:10 p.m.

I have an RTC project with a "Team Area Hierarchy" defined (10 teams in the hierarchy).

A few of our teams would like to change their team name.  If I click on the team, It seems easy enough to change the  name in the text box at the top.  However, I'm wondering if there are any considerations/ramifications of doing this.  We are using the data warehouse.  Work items are filed against teams so wondering if I rename the team, will it break anything?

Hoping someone can advise if renaming the teams can easily be done or if there are things to consider regarding this.

Thank you.

One answer

permanent link
Salman Shaikh (23412973) | answered Nov 01 '18, 6:57 p.m.
Changing the team area name will not affect Data-ware House or Workitem's Filed against fields. However it can affect in below points.
  • RTC Plugins written in Java are deployed with RTC Teams hard coded values.
  • Filed against values are taken from categories which are mapped with teams. If you have any doubt just double check categories mapping by going to manage this project area --> categories.
  • Data-ware house will be synced as per team name changes.
Please let me know in case of any other query.

Comments
David Lafreniere commented Nov 01 '18, 10:15 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Side comment: RTC plugins written in Java ideally should never try to find a Team Area from it's name, they should instead be referencing the itemID (UUID). From there you can generate an ITeamAreaHandle and fetch the full ITeamArea.

Ralph Schoon commented Nov 02 '18, 3:44 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Right, the team area name is only for us humans, internally the tool uses ID's and there should be no impact if the name is changed, other than the new name should show up in  all the places.

If you have external tools, that use the team area names, these could be impacted however. 

Geoffrey Clemm commented Nov 02 '18, 10:11 p.m.

The mapping between categories and teams is done via the ID of the category and team, and would be unaffected by renaming the category or the team.

So assuming the RTC plug-in developer does not make the mistake of hard-wiring to a team name, none of the points mentioned above should be affected by changing the name of a team area.

I have heard it said that some of the dashboard plug-ins that are customizable by team area have references to the team areas by name instead of by id, but I personally have not encountered this.

Becky McDermott commented Nov 05 '18, 10:34 a.m.
I do have categories that are mapped to team names.  If I rename the teams, will the categories update?  What would I need to do to the categories after the team(s) rename? 

Thank you

Becky McDermott commented Nov 05 '18, 10:50 a.m.
In my QUAL Jazz environment, I did the following:

* Ran a work item query where I filtered on "Filed Against".  Made note of the number of work items returned (850)
* Renamed one of the teams and then looked at the categories.  The mapping seemed to update to the new team name
* Re-ran the work item query and the same number (850) work items was returned for the category that mapped to the new renamed team name.

So, it appears that it is fairly simple to rename the teams and maintain data integrity.

If I have missed anything, please let me know.

Thank you

Salman Shaikh commented Nov 05 '18, 6:37 p.m.
Yes you are right, You haven't missed anything.
This is what the process is.
Actually renaming the teams may show different names in reports at that time because of DCC jobs (DW database) is not synchronized as per change.

Please let me know if you need to know anything else.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Nov 11 '18, 9:12 p.m.

And if you want the team names to match the category names, you would have to rename the categories (the teams and categories will remain linked). 

showing 5 of 7 show 2 more comments

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.