It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC quick search - reserved/system keywords perhaps?

Norman Dignard (356687165) | asked Jul 31 '18, 11:02 a.m.

We're running 605 ifix4 . Using the web i/f, we're trying to do a quick search in a CCM project for   work items having the word "canned".   The system returns a number of records none of which contain  the word "canned" . Searching for other values does appear to work  as we get various counts of returned work items and they did contain the search string.

Why are we getting hits on 'canned' for work items? Is this some system keyword perhaps? And if so is there a list of other system reserved words that would mess up search results like this? 

One answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Aug 03 '18, 3:49 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I did a few quick tests, and it appears to me that the quick search mechanism is stripping off any of the standard verb endings (..ing, ...s, ...ed).   It also appears that it doesn't do any checks to see whether the base is actually a verb, so you can add 'ing' or 'ed' to any string, and it will strip them off.   I couldn't find any way to tell it not to do that preprocessing of the search string.   So "canned" is being converted to "can".   Does "can" appear in all the search results?

Comments
Norman Dignard commented Aug 08 '18, 7:53 a.m.

I did find "can" in the returned records. This is not what one would expect. If users are searching for a string , return results accordingly not some stripped down verb.  For example we search for "canned data" , the returned results give 100's of records with "can" . How is that any use ...

Now is this a bug or RFE.....?

Geoffrey Clemm commented Aug 15 '18, 11:47 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Minimally, I would consider it to be a documentation bug, since I didn't find this behavior documented anywhere (the good news about documentation bugs is that they almost always get fixed quickly, so it is always worth submitting them). 

I personally would consider the behavior itself to be a bug, or at least a poor design choice ... so I'd go ahead and submit it as a defect.   Hopefully, there is some Lucene switch that can be turned on/off to eliminate this "helpful" behavior.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.