It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to create default subscribers for only 1 work item type

Kyle Dodge (152) | asked Oct 05 '18, 7:55 p.m.

Hello,

I am trying to find out if default subscribers can be created for only a single work item type.  I have built a custom work item (similar to a defect), and for this single work item I need to have default subscribers so that they can receive an email on all updates for these work item types.

I created a custom attribute with a default user list based on contributors, and added them into the links/subscribers section, but nobody is receiving emails for the items when created or modified.  When a work item is created, the default subscribers are added to the work item, but again no email is sent out.

Is this possible in RTC?  Is this an email configuration setting that needs to be changed?  Any help that can be provided is appreciated.  I do not want to have the default subscribers receive updates for all work items, just one particular work item type.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Oct 08 '18, 3:16 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
  1. Yes, there are ways to automatically subscribe users to a work item.
  2. There is no trivial way to make this work item type related I am aware of.
  3. There are ways how to achieve this, but they would be relatively complicated.
  4. Adding custom a custom attribute of type user or user list and assuming that causes e-mails to be send is pretty unrealistic to say it nicely. No, this will not work. There is a built in collection "Subscribers" that can be accessed as a pseudo attribute that supports e-mail notification.
  5. In general There are many ways implemented in RTC that help to avoid spamming every bodies e-mail inbox with work item notifications that are preferred if you work wit RTC on a regular basis e.g. Dashboards.  
https://jazz.net/library/article/1003 explains work item customization. 
  1. It is possible to define a default value provider of type user list and associate that to the Subscribes pseudo attribute. 
  2. Attribute customization is for all work item types that have the attribute. 
  3. Default attributes are run when the work item is created. It is quite common that the work item type used initially is changed - this is not covered by default values.
  4. I am not sure if a script based default/calculated value would be a solution.
  5. https://www.google.de/search?q=default+subscriber+type+RTC+site%3Ajazz.net&oq=default+subscriber+type+RTC+site%3Ajazz.net might provide additional ideas.

Kyle Dodge selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Kyle Dodge commented Oct 10 '18, 10:02 a.m.

Thanks for the response.  I was able to locate an RTC enhancement request allowing for default subscribers (emails) for specific work items rather than applying to all work items.

In the short term, the only way around this, without a lot of effort is to just leverage outlook distribution lists and create a specific user in RTC so that that user can be subscribed (thus emailing the appropriate people.)

R Z commented Nov 05 '21, 5:55 a.m.

Do you have the enhancement request no ?

I want to upvote and subscribe.

Thank you

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.