It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

DNG - Link by Attribute using custom attribute

Sean F (1.3k243149) | asked Aug 27 '18, 8:22 a.m.
edited Aug 27 '18, 8:39 a.m.

I have got the Link by Attribute (LBA) function working OK but only with DNG Artifact ID.

DOORS Classic has similar LBA functionlity and where I used to find it very useful was when importing data for a customer adopting DOORS.

For example I would have 2 spreadsheets ReqsA and ReqsB.

Traceability would be defined in a column in the ReqsB containing multiple numbers each referencing a single value ID in a column in ReqsA

I would import the 2 spreadsheets which would create all the source objects and all the target objects and 2 attributes (LinkSourceAttr and LinkTargAttr) and then run LBA to create the links.

Is there any way to do this in DNG?

I thought a workaround might be to, after import, cycle through each value of LinkTargAttr and find its corresponding DNG ID and then swap all the occurrences of LinkTargAttr in the multivalue LinkSourceAttr string before running LBA but I don't even see how that can be done very easily.

Accepted answer

permanent link
David Sedar (2817) | answered Jun 21 '19, 10:31 a.m.

Import your ReqsA spreadsheet, then export it as a View, which will give you the DNG IDs.

Use VLOOKUP on your ReqsB spreadsheet, converting your original ReqsA indices into the new DNG IDs.

Import your ReqsB spreadsheet, then use Link By Attribute to create the links between A and B.

Be aware that LBA always seems to create links to the BASE Artefact, not the MODULE one that you might be hoping for!

Sean F selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Adrian Haw commented Jun 28 '19, 10:08 a.m.

Prefix the artifact id with the module id separate by a dot and this will link by attribute to the artifact in the module and not to the base artifact, eg:  123.456

2 other answers

permanent link
Sean F (1.3k243149) | answered Jun 21 '19, 11:23 a.m.
^Thanks David. I will give that a try.

Would be nice to have the old DOORS Classic link by attribute feature in the tool also.

permanent link
Softacus AG (2013) | answered Jun 21 '19, 12:19 p.m.

We have created DNG Link by Foreign Attribute Script and give it away for free to our customers. This script automatically looks for artifacts,their previous linked objects and link them also in module context.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.