It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What would cause me to be unable to modify a work item's name?

Timothy Distel (73148) | asked Jul 12 '18, 10:38 a.m.
edited Jul 12 '18, 11:51 a.m.

Hi all,

In RTC 6.0.3, I am a user with JazzAdmin repository permissions. I am in an "Administrator" Role which has zero permission restrictions (Granted permissions for all operations). I am using internet explorer which is what I understand to be the most supported browser for Jazz. There are work items in my project area "Builds". I have users requesting the ability to modify the name/title of existing build work items. After going in and attempting to modify the name/title myself, I am unable even with no permission restrictions. This brings me to the question is this somehow built into the platform? If not how could I modify it?

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Jul 12 '18, 10:57 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Timoty,

please read your own question carefully and try to figure out how to answer the question. There is no mentioning of any version, browser, error message..... there is no information one could work with.

Please read the following text and fix your question  How should I ask a question in the Forum if I want to receive useful answers?

Ralph Schoon commented Jul 12 '18, 11:00 a.m.

"Even as an administrator" - what characteristic do you mean with being an administrator?

In addition, being an administrator (any of the two characteristics that in my eyes would allow you to claim to be an administrator) does not give you any permission. Only your roles and the the permissions associated the the roles give you any permissions.

Timothy Distel commented Jul 12 '18, 11:40 a.m.

In RTC 6.0.3, I am a user with JazzAdmin repository permissions. I am in an "Administrator" Role which has zero permission restrictions (Granted permissions for all operations). I am using internet explorer which is what I understand to be the most supported browser for Jazz. There are work items in my project area "Builds". I have users requesting the ability to modify the name/title of existing build work items. After going in and attempting to modify the name/title myself, I am unable even with no permission restrictions. This brings me to the question is this somehow built into the platform? If not how could I modify it?

Ralph Schoon commented Jul 12 '18, 11:57 a.m. | edited Jul 12 '18, 11:57 a.m.
  1. JazzAdmin does not give you any permissions. It only allows you to see all data e.g. all work items and give you roles and permissions.
  2. Being member of the Admin group does not give you any permissions.
  3. If you are member of the project area and have a role assigned that has granted all permissions you have all permissions on project area level (is the build work item filed agains a category that is associated to the project area?)
  4. Internet Explorer traditionally has been the worst choice to use Jazz. I use Firefox or Crome. Use another browser.
  5. If you don't have permissions an error message would appear and tell you so. If you don't see an error message, try a different browser, if you see one which one is it and why didn't you mention it already? 

Timothy Distel commented Jul 12 '18, 12:11 p.m.

There are no categories used for the project area. After switching to chrome and attempting the change, the same result is achieved. I change the name/title of the work item, and when I save it, the name reverts to what it was before the change. No jazz error is displayed, no browser error is displayed.

Be the first one to answer this question!

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.