It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Renaming Artifact Links while Linked..Do-Able?

Carlos Gonsalez (37417) | asked Jun 26 '18, 7:07 p.m.

Background: I have 2 System Specification modules in my RDNG project:
One module per folder, both modules populated with objects of artifact type: System Requirement.  
As standard, the system requirement objects within both modules are logically linked to each other.
Links used to connect the system requirement objects are of RDNG's requirement artifact type
                                        Link(Link To, Link From).  
Question: Hindsight being "20-20", is it possible to rename artifact value:
        Link To
with this new artifact value
        Link InTo
while "still linked" to their respective objects?    If not...well...it was worth asking.

Carlos G
{10 Yrs Work Experiences using DOORS Classic, 4.5 months work experience with DOORS Next Generation}

Accepted answer

permanent link
Carol Watson (71015) | answered Jun 27 '18, 9:39 a.m.

Hi Carlos,

If I understand you correctly, you want to rename a Link Type when the Link Type has already been used to link artifacts.

I tried this in my test environment just now and it worked fine.  Give it a minute, then refresh and if you've any Views that display that link type you'll see that the Column heading has changed to reflect the new name.  Just remember to change the RDF URI to match the new name, if you used an RDF URI.  As far as I've been able to tell, the RDF URI is necessary only if you're going to do cross-project linking, which just happened to be the case on the Link Type whose name I changed.

Note that you can only change the name of Link types that you create, not the system-defined links.

Regards,

Carol

Carlos Gonsalez selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
Carlos Gonsalez (37417) | answered Jul 03 '18, 9:07 a.m.

Hi Carol!
Thanks for your reply.   You did correctly interpret my question.  On studying your reply, I guess I
should have mentioned in my original posting that the link type in question did come with the System. 
Artifact Type Data Types are Link (Link To, Link From).

Again, thanks for your prompt reply!

Carlos

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.