It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Report Builder: Pulling Heading text and Heading Number?

Carlos Gonsalez (37517) | asked Sep 06 '18, 12:48 p.m.

I have in DOORS a module that has objects of artifact type "Heading"(in RDNG's System).  So, my RDNG module is structured correctly:
"3.0     Requirements"
"3.1     More Requirements"
These Headings were "artifact type" as "Heading" (part of RDNG system). 
Those who have imported Requirements documents into RDNG may know that Objects typed as Heading allows the user to edit the text, and not the numbers(not directly).

QUESTION:
Via Report Builder, I need to generate a Report that "pulls" out both the Heading number "And"  Heading Text,  i.e.;
                          "3.0  Requirements"
                          "3.1  More Requirements"
In my Report Builder, I ran a script that has this line:
             (Object) Type is Heading
that displays the the following:
                          "Requirements"
                          "More Requirements"
Question:
Does the Report Builder have "any feature" that allows me to generate both the Heading Number along with its Heading Text from the DOORS module?    In short, I need to auto generate a listing like this:
                          "3.0  Requirements"
                          "3.1  More Requirements"

Carlos

Accepted answer

permanent link
Michael Laurendi (1051044) | answered Sep 07 '18, 8:17 a.m.

Carlos,

My environment is DNG 6.0.5, no Global Configuration. We are using JRS for reports, but I am needing to learn how to do stuff using RPE. That's why I like your question and the answers you receive -- like the one just in from Kevin Murphy -- because that helps me better understand about JRS too.

Carlos Gonsalez selected this answer as the correct answer

9 other answers

permanent link
Kevin Murphy (9621317) | answered Sep 06 '18, 11:21 p.m.

For DNG, JRS does not contain information about module structure, so you're not going to get numbered headings. It's really what RPE is for.

You could create a custom attribute for headings and manually fill out the numbers (or have an automated script/widget do it), but who knows, JRS may one day have module structure in it. 

Unfortunately, I don't think module structure with heading numbers and the like will be in JRS any time soon. For one, you could only get to it from a Module->Requirement relationship (because what if a requirement is used in two different modules with two different heading numbers?), and the current schema really doesn't support that.

Also, JRS is really for tables and graphs, RPE is for Word documents and Excel files...

I am not IBM, but I do a LOT of RPE and JRS work.

Comments
Carlos Gonsalez commented Sep 07 '18, 9:45 a.m.

Kevin,

Thanks for your informative reply.   It validated what I had

suspected.  And allows me to refocus on other tasks.

Carlos

permanent link
Michael Laurendi (1051044) | answered Sep 06 '18, 1:29 p.m.

Hello Carlos,

Your question is one that I am very interested in the answer from the Forum as I don' t yet know how to do that.
RPE can do it.

Regards,
Mike

permanent link
Carlos Gonsalez (37517) | answered Sep 06 '18, 3:46 p.m.

Michael,
By RPE, you are referring to the "Rational Publishing Engine"?
{so many acronyms...so many products}

If I get an answer that works, I'll be sure to pass it onto you.

Carlos

permanent link
Michael Laurendi (1051044) | answered Sep 06 '18, 4:06 p.m.

Thanks on that, Carlos. I subscribed to your question which means I will be emailed any Forum updates to your question.

Sorry about the acronym. Yes, you are correct. Rational Publishing Engine. I've been trying to learn it and was able to create a very simple template (.dta) that gets each artifact id and its text in a module. You can create conditions. For example, if the artifact type is a certain type. It is very easy to drag and drop different elements like containers, paragraphs, text. There is a javascript element that can be dragged-and-dropped for writing some code too.

permanent link
Carlos Gonsalez (37517) | answered Sep 06 '18, 6:05 p.m.

Thanks on the feedback. 
So far, no one has mentioned an solution.   I am beginning to think that
I may need to learn what you are learning...RPE. 
In the meantime, I need to look around for any tutorials on RPE.
Carlos

permanent link
Carlos Gonsalez (37517) | answered Sep 06 '18, 6:12 p.m.

Michael,
Out of professional curiosity,
    Are you using RPE on projects built  under DOORS9.3 or you using it on project built under Rational DOORS Next Generation?
In my case, I've been using the Report Builder on projects that I built under Rational DOORS Next Generation.

~Thanks~
Carlos

permanent link
Carlos Gonsalez (37517) | answered Sep 10 '18, 11:45 a.m.

Kevin,
As a tardy follow up to your statement::
"JRS is really for tables and graphs, RPE is for Word documents and Excel files..."
Since I've been using JRS Report Builder alot to generate data that I have Exported out to EXCEL files,
could you be a bit mistaken? 
Carlos

permanent link
Kevin Murphy (9621317) | answered Sep 10 '18, 2:15 p.m.
The latest versions of RPE allow direct export to Excel. You can use JRS to export to Excel and that's fine. However, if you want DNG module schema information in Excel, then you must use RPE or do a direct export from a DNG module to XLSX/CSV.

permanent link
Carlos Gonsalez (37517) | answered Oct 19 '18, 12:24 p.m.

Alernative Solution on Exporting Paragraph/Section verbiage and its numerics
(many of you may know this already):

Memory Refresh: Within this Conversation Thread:
For Objects artifact typed "Heading":

• It's been established that the Report Builder can pull the Heading's Verbiage.
  • It cannot pull the Heading Numeric(i.e. 1.0, 1.1, 2.1, 21.2, etc.).

Yet, there is an alternative "no cost" method (Outside of the Report Builder) that
allows the exporting of a
                                  Heading's Numeric and its Verbiage:
Within the Module, create a View that contains the "Section" column Displayed.
Within the Module, use the feature "Generate a Report for this View" (accessible via the Triple Bar icon).

~Enjoy~

Carlos G

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.