It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to handle request update test case during execution

Thao Nguyen (37334) | asked May 04 '18, 4:51 a.m.
edited May 08 '18, 1:05 a.m. by Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035)

Hello,

During test execution phase, testers can see that test case is not correct and needs to be updated. There is the needs to track this information and process to handle these requests to update. I have drafted some points as below

1. On Jazz QM, we have one Category (scope: TCR and TCER), called "Update TC" with value Unassigned/No/Yes/No Need/Updated. It allows testers to mark if TC needs to be updated during execution

2. During or after execution phase, test lead will review TC based on this category which is marked as "Yes" and 
and assign to someone to work on this 
       Here, i plan to have one TCR category, called "Updater"
       Also to track progress of this task, i create on work item on Jazz CCM. This will link to Test Execution Record of specific "Updater". Not sure if this work item #id can be seen in TCR view?

When tester completes modifications to TC, he/she needs to update TCR category and update status of work item on Jazz CCM. Look like it is redundant effort between QM and CCM !

I am looking for alternative ways to efficiently manage this, but still have the capability to trace back which TCR is assigned to which tester, who update and review the modification of TC with clear state

Have anyone experienced with this before? Appreciate for your help

One answer

permanent link
Vijay Patil (4813) | answered May 07 '18, 7:23 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hello,

In RQM 6.0.5 release, we have added capability to update the steps during execution via Plan Item - Update manual steps, add new steps during manual test script execution- redlining (17749)

The updated steps are saved in the result and then user can compare and merge the updated result steps with the test script steps. Updating the steps during execution is controlled by project preference and user role permissions.

Please check about this feature in help doc - https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/topic/com.ibm.rational.test.qm.doc/topics/t_update_testscript_steps_execution.html

If you see more improvements in this area, then please open an RFE in RQM with your use case using link -
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=changeRequestLanding

Thanks,
Vijay

Comments
Thao Nguyen commented May 07 '18, 10:12 p.m. | edited May 08 '18, 1:06 a.m.

Thank you Vijay for your response. My intention is not to update steps during test execution. 

During test execution, if test case is not suitable/correct to current product/software under test, we at all can find the corrected steps to test and fill in result. However, we will have one attribute to write down what to be updated for this test case as one request to ask test lead double check this . This request to update test case will be reviewed by test lead during or after the execution phase completes

If test lead thinks that this request to update test case is valid, he/she will create one or several work items to track progress of these requests (to update TC) when assign to someone to work on (this person can be the one who found the incorrect point, but can be expert of the tested feature or someone else)

From Jazz CCM, in one work item, we can link to TCRs which were requested to update.
From Jazz QM, in TCR view, at TCR marked as "need to be updated", i am looking for information of Jazz CCM work item #id to quickly identify status of this work item

Basically i am thinking of TCR view as below
- one category/column to indicate that TC related to this TCR needs to be updated (es/No value)
- one column with comment mentioned what should be corrected. 
- one column to link with work item test lead tracked for the activity to update this TC

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.