It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Sorting custom attribute in RTC query

Bareket Matmon (1718) | asked Mar 28 '18, 9:30 a.m.

Hi, 

After creating new query in RTC, I'm trying to sort one of the custom attribute called 'Value' (from type: Large HTML), but I couldn't find it in 'Sorting' list. how I can add it there? I want to sort this attribute.

Thanks, 
Bareket  

Accepted answer

permanent link
Piotr Aniola (3.7k11738) | answered Mar 28 '18, 9:52 a.m.

It seems you can't sort by a Large HTML attribute, regardless of whether it's a custom or built-in attribute (for example, you can sort by Summary which is of type Medium HTML, but not Description, which is Large HTML). 

I believe this is a deliberate limitation due to performance reasons. You can create an enhancement request on jazz.net to address that.

Bareket Matmon selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Donald Nong commented Mar 29 '18, 4:20 a.m.

I think the limitation is due to how Large String and Large HTML are stored in the database. There is no efficient way to pull the data of these types and sort them. Assuming that the content cannot be accommodated in a Medium HTML attribute which holds 1000 bytes of XML text (including tags), the length of the content is more than 1000 bytes. Does it really make sense to sort them? If absolutely necessary, probably use a different attribute for sorting, or add a new attribute to hold the first XXX bytes of the Large HTML attribute for sorting.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.