It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

DNG User with 'Administrator' role vs user in list of 'Administrators'

Sean F (1.3k243150) | asked Mar 27 '18, 11:54 a.m.

When I add a user to a DNG project area I can give them the 'Administrator' role when I add them to the list of project members.
I can also separately add them to the list of 'Administrators' for the project (below list of members)
What is the difference between these 2 things?

3 answers

permanent link
Carol Watson (71016) | answered Mar 27 '18, 12:16 p.m.

Hi Sean,

If you go to Manage Project Area, you'll see Permissions in the left hand menu.  Click on that and then choose "Compare by Role".  If you compare the Administrator role to the Configuration Administrator role you'll see the default permissions. While these permissions can be changed, the default values make it a bit clearer as to the intent.

We don't have CM turned on so I may be wrong, but I think that the Administrator section on Overview relates to the Configuration Administrator Role. 

Hope this helps.

Carol

permanent link
Sean F (1.3k243150) | answered Mar 27 '18, 1:02 p.m.
edited Mar 27 '18, 2:26 p.m.

^Thanks for the pointers Carol.

>>We don't have CM turned on so I may be wrong, but I think that the Administrator section on Overview relates to the Configuration Administrator Role.

The Administrator roles says

In addition to the Author capabilities, an Administrator can modify artifact types, data types, attribute types, reviews, project and artifact templates, and project areas.

The Configuration Administrator roles says

Users with this role can create, modify and archive configurations. This role also allows users to deliver other users change sets.

The wording for the Administrator section says

If you require permissions, contact an administrator. Project administrators can modify and save this project area and its team areas.

I am not sure but I think it means members in the Administrator list can add/modify/remove members from the Members list above and also from team areas and also modify other properties on the 'Manage This Project Area' page (timelines, roles, etc.)

Comments
My-An Nguyen commented Mar 27 '18, 3:04 p.m.

You're on the right track.

Users in the Administrator list can make modifications in the "Manage This Project Area" page such as adding new users, changing roles, etc. However, they do not necessarily have permissions to do things inside the project itself such as creating artifacts.

For example, UserA is in the Administrator list and the Members list, but in the Members list he only has an Author role. By default, that means he cannot create Shared Views or Save Types, and other actions that are limited by his role's (Author) permissions. However, he is able to go into "Manage This Project Area" and make changes there.

In case it helps:
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSYMRC_6.0.5/com.ibm.jazz.repository.web.admin.doc/topics/c_understand_user_access_control.html

permanent link
Sean F (1.3k243150) | answered Mar 28 '18, 1:20 a.m.
edited Mar 28 '18, 1:20 a.m.

^Thanks

If there was a name/title for that section of the project area:- timelines/roles/members etc.(e.g. 'Project Area Settings') then they could change the wording

If you require permissions, contact an administrator. Project administrators can add users and modify the values in Project Area Settings

The other DNG project configuration area (link types/artifact types/attribute types etc.) could use a title too like 'RM Settings'.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.