It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

The RQM 6.0.5 Command Line Adapter reports a ParseException. Is there a resolution?

Daniel Barbour (250323) | asked Feb 23 '18, 9:52 a.m.

While I have successfully connected the RQM 6.0.4 (and 6.0.3) command line adapters to RQM server for 6.0.5 (iFix001), I have been unsuccessful with the version of the command line adapter that is shipped with 6.0.5. 

Does anyone know if there is a resolution for the following error that is reported on the command console?

C:\RQMCommandLineAdapter_6.0.5>start.bat -repository https://xxxxx/qm -user
 xxxxxx -password xxxxx -adapterName ct_tqk_CLA -projectArea "RQM_TEST_
INITIATE_TEST"
Launching Adapter...

java version "1.8.0_111"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_111-b14)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 25.111-b14, mixed mode)
Configuration file C:\RQMCommandLineAdapter_6.0.5\Config2.ini does not exist, adapter will use the arguments passed
Attempting to create SSL_TLS context
...<skipped lines>
The adapter is now connected
Exception in thread "main" org.apache.abdera.parser.ParseException: javax.xml.st
ream.XMLStreamException: ParseError at [row,col]:[-1,-1]
Message: The reference to entity "etag" must end with the ';' delimiter.
        at org.apache.abdera.parser.stax.FOMBuilder.next(FOMBuilder.java:253)
        at org.apache.axiom.om.impl.llom.OMElementImpl.getNextOMSibling(OMElemen
tImpl.java:265)
        at org.apache.axiom.om.impl.traverse.OMChildrenIterator.next(OMChildrenI
terator.java:106)
        at org.jaxen.expr.DefaultNameStep.evaluate(DefaultNameStep.java:208)
        at org.jaxen.expr.DefaultLocationPath.evaluate(DefaultLocationPath.java:
140)
        at org.jaxen.expr.DefaultXPathExpr.asList(DefaultXPathExpr.java:102)
        at org.jaxen.BaseXPath.selectNodesForContext(BaseXPath.java:674)
        at org.jaxen.BaseXPath.selectNodes(BaseXPath.java:213)
        at org.apache.abdera.parser.stax.FOMXPath.selectNodes(FOMXPath.java:162)

at org.apache.abdera.parser.stax.FOMXPath.selectNodes(FOMXPath.java:180)

at com.ibm.rqm.adapter.library.data.NewRequester.getAllProjectAreas(NewR
equester.java:476)
        at com.ibm.rqm.adapter.library.data.NewRequester.validProjectAlias(NewRe
quester.java:3130)
        at com.ibm.rqm.adapter.library.data.NewRequester.checkServerInfo(NewRequ
ester.java:3093)
        at com.ibm.rqm.adapter.library.data.NewRequester.<init>(NewRequester.jav
a:163)
        at com.ibm.rqm.adapter.commandline.QMCommandLineAdapter.main(QMCommandLi
neAdapter.java:359)
Caused by: javax.xml.stream.XMLStreamException: ParseError at [row,col]:[-1,-1]
Message: The reference to entity "etag" must end with the ';' delimiter.
        at com.ibm.xml.xlxp.api.stax.msg.StAXMessageProvider.throwWrappedXMLStre
amException(StAXMessageProvider.java:73)
        at com.ibm.xml.xlxp.api.stax.XMLStreamReaderImpl.produceFatalErrorEvent(
XMLStreamReaderImpl.java:2096)
        at com.ibm.xml.xlxp.api.stax.XMLStreamReaderImpl.reportFatalError(XMLStr
eamReaderImpl.java:2102)
        at com.ibm.xml.xlxp.scan.DocumentEntityScanner.reportFatalError(Document
EntityScanner.java:479)
        at com.ibm.xml.xlxp.scan.DocumentEntityScanner.checkReferenceInAttValue(
DocumentEntityScanner.java:4465)
        at com.ibm.xml.xlxp.scan.DocumentEntityScanner.scanAttValueUnbuffered(Do
cumentEntityScanner.java:3595)
        at com.ibm.xml.xlxp.scan.DocumentEntityScanner.scanStartElementUnbuffere
d(DocumentEntityScanner.java:3487)
        at com.ibm.xml.xlxp.api.util.SimpleScannerHelper.scanStartElementUnbuffe
red(SimpleScannerHelper.java:935)
        at com.ibm.xml.xlxp.scan.DocumentEntityScanner.stateUnbufferedStartEleme
nt(DocumentEntityScanner.java:507)
        at com.ibm.xml.xlxp.scan.DocumentEntityScanner.scanContentUnbuffered(Doc
umentEntityScanner.java:2782)
        at com.ibm.xml.xlxp.api.util.SimpleScannerHelper.scanContentUnbuffered(S
impleScannerHelper.java:1241)
        at com.ibm.xml.xlxp.scan.DocumentEntityScanner.stateUnbufferedContent(Do
cumentEntityScanner.java:551)
        at com.ibm.xml.xlxp.scan.DocumentEntityScanner.produceEvent(DocumentEnti
tyScanner.java:644)
        at com.ibm.xml.xlxp.api.stax.XMLStreamReaderImpl.getNextScannerEvent(XML
StreamReaderImpl.java:1638)
        at com.ibm.xml.xlxp.api.stax.XMLStreamReaderImpl.next(XMLStreamReaderImp
l.java:532)
        at com.ibm.xml.xlxp.api.stax.XMLInputFactoryImpl$XMLStreamReaderProxy.ne
xt(XMLInputFactoryImpl.java:175)
        at org.apache.abdera.parser.stax.FOMBuilder.getNextElementToParse(FOMBui
lder.java:160)
        at org.apache.abdera.parser.stax.FOMBuilder.next(FOMBuilder.java:184)
        ... 14 more
The adapter did not run, exited unexpectedly, or was killed.
This can happen if java.exe was not found in the PATH,
or if java.exe is too old or not compatible (the version of JAVA required is 1.5
 or later),
or Configuration File does not have write permissions,
or some other error occurred.
Please refer to the readme.txt file in the adapter package.
C:\RQMCommandLineAdapter_6.0.5>

2 answers

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k614) | answered Mar 01 '18, 2:22 a.m.

It works for me against an RQM instance containing only one JKE Banking project.

Based on the stack trace, it appears that the adapter has some problems with retrieving the project list - maybe the response is not a list of projects at all. If you are willing to debug by yourself, you have two options.

1. Change the log4j.properties file so that the last two lines are like:
log4j.logger.com.ibm.rqm.adapter.library=ALL
log4j.logger.com.ibm.rqm.adapter.commandline=ALL
You should have more verbose output in both the console and the Adatper.log file.

2. If you are more adventurous, you can "tap the wire" by adding -Djavax.net.debug=all to the java command in the startup script, so it reads
java -Djavax.net.debug=all -Dlog4j.configuration=file:./log4j.properties ......
You should have lots of contents shown in the console, both HEX and ASCII, encrypted and decrypted. The HTTP content is not displayed in a nice way but you should be able to tell what it is if you read carefully.

Otherwise, it's time to contact IBM Support.

Comments
Daniel Barbour commented Mar 01 '18, 2:58 p.m.

Donald - Thanks for the suggestion, the first approach did not yield much additional information but (as you indicated) the second generated a lot.

However, the only clear indicator is that the console output from using the 6.0.4 adapter with the 6.0.5 server (vs the console output from using the 6.0.5 adapter with the 6.0.5 server) is that the following two lines present in the output from the (working) 6.0.4 adapter do not exist in the output for the 6.0.5 adapter (everything else [server, java, command, OS, etc.] remaining the same):

"Created Commandline Adapter"
Adapter polling RQM server for instructions.

I will proceed with entering a defect

Daniel Barbour commented Mar 01 '18, 4:05 p.m. | edited Mar 01 '18, 4:46 p.m.

Also - I imported your example (JKE Banking (Quality Management)) and tried connecting the RQM command line adapter to that but it seemed to fail in the same manner for me.  This may indicate that there is an environmental factor that is resulting in the problem for me where you are not seeing it.

My OS: Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard
DB: SQL Server 2012

If you provide the start command you used it will eliminate some debugging variables :)

Donald Nong commented Mar 01 '18, 6:06 p.m.

Daniel, I suppose there are many projects in your RQM instance, and the adapter will pull all the projects out when it tries to connect, and that's when it fails. It should not matter whether you have the JKE Banking sample. It's possible that your existing projects that introduce the problem.

permanent link
Daniel Barbour (250323) | answered Mar 02 '18, 11:38 a.m.

Donald - your theory is interesting, but not applicable in this instance because when I tried that sample I had a 'clean' installation with no other projects.

That said - it turns out that this issue was observed by other parties who also entered their own work item and service ticket. The QM maintenance thread indicating a resolution for 6.0.5 is scheduled for iFix004 is reported here:

https://jazz.net/jazz02/web/projects/Rational%20Quality%20Manager#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=169454

Comments
Donald Nong commented Mar 04 '18, 7:22 p.m.

Interesting fine. The direct link to the defect is as follows, if anyone is interested.
https://jazz.net/jazz02/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/168025

I knew that the adapter throws such error when processing invalid XML contents, but never thought about the content being a "login page" in HTML format.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.