It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Description of a RPE variable, what is the function/purpose of "publishParameter:true"?

Matt Green (1315) | asked Nov 15 '17, 12:53 p.m.
edited Nov 15 '17, 12:54 p.m.

In Rational Publishing Engine, users can create variables with an Access value of external or internal. Additionally, users can specify a Description. It is to my understanding that the Description is used as the display value of a variable within the Additional Report Information step of the Create a Document-Style Report process.

I noticed in a sample Template that another user created that there was an external variable that whose description contained "(publishParameter:true)":

Name: _configurationURI
Description: URI of configuration(publishParameter:true)
Type:user
Variable Access: external
Default Value: Blank
Central Library Variable: Blank
Value: Blank

What is the purpose/function of publishParameter:true? 

Additionally I know that external variables' names can be prefixed with underscore. The idea is that if an underscore is used, that the variable will be hidden. (Source: Jazz Forum: External Variables

I've notice that some variables within Additional Information Options have the name of [Report Parameter]

Is publishParameter:true what is changing display name to [Report Parameter]?

Thanks!!!!

Accepted answer

permanent link
Subramanya Prasad Pilar (4.6k15) | answered Nov 16 '17, 11:49 a.m.

If my understanding is correct, setting "publishParameter:true" does not change the display name. Rather it will be supplied (appended) as parameter with the request URL.

For example, OOTB template printModuleBook.dta contains variable "showAttributes" with Description set to "Include Attributes(publishParameter:true,type:boolean)". The display name (in DNG web UI) will be "Include Attributes" which can be set to true or false. ?showAttributes=true or ?showAttributes=false will be appended to the request URL during document generation. Similarly, printArtifact.dta has variable footerText, for which description is "Footer Text(type:text)". Hence we see "Footer Text" in the report wizard, which accepts text value.

Access value does not matter if you are generating document through DNG. If the name is prefixed with "_", it will be hidden from the report wizard.
"Central Library Variable" can be ignored since it is no more relevant.

Matt Green selected this answer as the correct answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.