It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What's recommended way to integrate RTC and RDNG

Mallikarjuna Kandala (1061021) | asked Oct 26 '17, 1:19 a.m.
edited Nov 01 '17, 7:49 a.m. by Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035)

We have a machine #1 which hosts (CCM+JTS) apps. we have another machine #2 which hosts (JTS+RM) apps. We would like to integrate CCM/RTC with RM/RDNG. Instead of installing RDNG/RM in macine #1 and integrating it with RTC on machine #1 itself, we would like to integrate RTC on machine #1 with RDNG on machine #2, so that we don't need to install RDNG again by modifying the package in IBM Installation Manager.

Will there be any difference in RTC-RDNG integration functionality (available links etc) if the RDNG is on a different machine  than the machine which hosts RTC?

Will there be any advantages if both RTC and RDNG are registered to the same JTS?

Please clarify.

Thanks.

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Nov 01 '17, 7:51 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Note: I've modified the question based on the discussion below.

Mallikarjuna: If I misunderstood your intended question, please edit it appropriately.

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Oct 26 '17, 1:36 a.m.
edited Oct 26 '17, 1:38 a.m.

RTC and RDNG never have the same repository. A repository is typically the database. RTC and RDNG always have different databases (terminology is different for Oracle, DB2 and SQL Server, but that is my bottom line as the connection strings are different.).

RTC and RDNG can however be registered to the same JTS or to different JTS's.

1. In case they are registered to the same JTS,

• They are automatically made "Friends" by the registration process. That way, the necessary infrastructure is set up so that they can see each other.
  • You can set up lifecycle projects to set up the link consumer/provider relationship between the project areas or
  • Set up the link consumer/provider relationship manually

2. In case they are registered to different JTS;
  • They can not see each other automatically
  • You can create friends relationships between the apps on one JTS and the apps on the other JTS (including between the JTS)  to allow to create dashboards for all applications on each JTS and to allow linking across applications after setting up
  • Since Lifefcycle projects only live within one JTS/Product context you can not use lifecycle projects to set up the link consumer/provider relationship
  • You can create the required consumer/provider relationship between RTC and RDNG project areas manually

The general integration capabilities between RTC and RDNG are the same in both scenarios as far as I can tell.

Comments
Mallikarjuna Kandala commented Oct 26 '17, 4:17 a.m.

Hi Ralph,

Thank you for answering.

By repository, I mean CLM instance. Thanks for confirming that All integration capabilities, functionality remains same even if the RTC, RDNG instances are remote to each other or integrated.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Oct 29 '17, 5:51 p.m.

It is important to use the correct terminology, or you will get confused.   In particular, the term "CLM instance" is not defined, the phrase "RTC and RDNG being remote to each other" is not defined, and the phrase "RTC and RDNG being integrated" is not defined.  If you mean "the RTC and RDNG instances are registered to the same JTS", then that is defined (and is why Ralph gave his answer using that terminology).

Ralph Schoon commented Nov 01 '17, 4:39 a.m.

I introduced "CLM Instance" in talks and in https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/PlanForMultipleJazzAppInstances because we did not have a good term. My bad 8D.

Mallikarjuna Kandala commented Nov 01 '17, 7:16 a.m.

Thank you Ralph and Geoffrey for taking time to answer my questions.

Our concern was only about any limitations in linking between (artifacts of RTC registered with JTS # 1) and (artifacts of RDNG registered with JTS # 2), due to "unavailability of Links" as explained in the above mentioned document by Ralph under the section "Functional differences to be aware when multiple JTS exist".

It seems to me that, there is limited set of available links only to link artifacts between 2 RTC project areas which belongs to 2 different JTSs.

However, in case of linking artifacts between RTC and RDNG which belongs to 2 different JTSs respectively, then all link types are available without limitations, post linking the the 2 project areas (1 DNG, 1 RTC) using frinds/consumers (as JTSs are different).

Please confirm.

As of now, we are not using either Lifecycle projects or configuration management feature, so I am not considering for now.

Ralph Schoon commented Nov 01 '17, 7:31 a.m.

Links between mutually different applications should always work, if these applications are registered to the same JTS or have a friend relationship in both directions. Such links are always "OSLC" links and designed to work in this set up.

More problematic are links between artifacts from the same application work item<->work item, requirement<->requirement. Especially for RTC there are links that were designed at a time nobody thought about linking across different applications. These don't work. Example: parent/child work item links.

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Nov 01 '17, 7:58 a.m.
edited Nov 01 '17, 7:58 a.m.

There is no difference in the integration functionality if RTC and DNG applications are on different machines.

The main difference if they are registered to different JTS applications is that you cannot have both the RTC and DNG application be members of the same LifeCycle Project Area (this is not an especially serious constraint, since an LPA just simplifies some of the administration of the applications, but doesn't change how the integrations work).

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.