It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Storyboard questions

Steve Stupca (11102) | asked Sep 23 '09, 2:01 p.m.
Hi,

Here are a few questions I had while using storyboards...

1) is it possible to make the frame of a storyboard point to another storyboard?

2) is it possible to link from a frame to another artifact?

3) Is there a way to navigate to subfolders when creating frames from existing sketches to find a smaller set of existing sketches?

Finally, I am having problems viewing a storyboard from the Web UI. I have the very beginnings of a storyboard (several empty frames, one barely filled in). I can see that the artifact exists from the Web UI, but when I try to display it, it looks like nothing is there...any hints on what to try?

Thanks!

4 answers

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Sep 23 '09, 9:44 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Let me try to answer what I can ...
1) is it possible to make the frame of a storyboard point to another storyboard?

Storyboards can inherit from the immediately previous frame. If you need something less linear, you may wish to create "parts" for sets of graphical elements that you want to reuse .
2) is it possible to link from a frame to another artifact?

Not sure.
3) Is there a way to navigate to subfolders when creating frames from existing sketches to find a smaller set of existing sketches?

I leave this for someone else to answer.
Finally, I am having problems viewing a storyboard from the Web UI. I have the very beginnings of a storyboard (several empty frames, one barely filled in). I can see that the artifact exists from the Web UI, but when I try to display it, it looks like nothing is there...any hints on what to try?

Are you using the December 2008 webUI beta or beta 2 (released this month)? There is a lot of development going on in the web client at the moment, and both betas have some bugs still in them. For example, I have installed beta 2 this week and find that graphical artifacts (sketches, storyboards, use case diagrams, business process diagrams) are not displaying properly in the web client -- seems like the conversion to images isn't completing. But these diagrams etc are OK in the RRC rich client.

Daniel

permanent link
Kirk Grotjohn (1.2k3) | answered Sep 24 '09, 9:59 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Adding to what Daniel said:

1. If by "point" to you mean link, then yes. I'm guessing you mean reuse or inherit, in which case it's no. But as Daniel said, you can save the frame as a sketch or a part and then use that sketch or part in both storyboards.

2. Yes. In the links section of the sidebar, if you click the New Link icon, there is an option to create a link from the frame.

3. Not sure I follow this one. There are 3 sources that you can use to base a new frame on: 1. the previous frame in the storyboard, 2. an earlier frame *in the same* storyboard, and 3. an existing sketch. (You can also create a frame from scratch and not base it on an existing frame/sketch). If you're referring to the dialog when you choose "Create this frame from an earlier frame", you will only get the list of frames in the *current* storyboard that can be inherited. To base it on a frame from another storyboard, you can use the methods described above in #1.

Sorry, I can't talk to the problem of storyboards not displaying in the web.

permanent link
Steve Stupca (11102) | answered Sep 24 '09, 9:48 p.m.
Adding to what Daniel said:

3. Not sure I follow this one. There are 3 sources that you can use to base a new frame on: 1. the previous frame in the storyboard, 2. an earlier frame *in the same* storyboard, and 3. an existing sketch. (You can also create a frame from scratch and not base it on an existing frame/sketch). If you're referring to the dialog when you choose "Create this frame from an earlier frame", you will only get the list of frames in the *current* storyboard that can be inherited. To base it on a frame from another storyboard, you can use the methods described above in #1.

Kirk, thanks for the replies...I am using the 3rd option. When the panel comes up, I can choose a project to search in. I guess I am asking for the capability to limit my search to folders within a project.

Hope the scenario makes more sense...if not, please just let me know.

permanent link
Kirk Grotjohn (1.2k3) | answered Sep 25 '09, 10:28 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
OK, I follow you now. This is more than just a storyboard issue. We essentially have 2 types of "file browse" dialogs. The one you are referring to (which is used in several other places) and doesn't show a folder structure, and the one that is used when creating links, which does. We are trying to come up with a common file browse dialog that can be used in all cases, and will likely contain a folder structure, but that won't be in 2.0.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.