It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Windows XP + RRC 2.0 + .docx issue

Michael Mancini (1362410) | asked Mar 16 '10, 11:55 a.m.
I have some users that cannot open .docx documents in composer (specifically users running composer on windows XP). I was able to replicate the problem but I do not like the solution I came too.

This error comes up:

"Word cannot start the converter mswrd632.wpc"

Here is a link I found to correct the issue:

http://blogs.technet.com/wordonenotesupport/archive/2009/12/10/when-opening-the-word-document-users-are-getting-error-word-cannot-start-the-convertor-mswrd632-wpc-or-cannot-load-word-for-windows-6-0-files.aspx

I found a lot of articles telling me to delete registry keys (which does work) but most of my users are located remotely, under different contractors and most do not have administrative rights on their PC.

Is there another solution that doesn't involve editing registry keys?

3 answers

permanent link
Stef van Dijk (2.0k179) | answered Mar 18 '10, 10:56 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I have not seen that particular error and I'm not familiar with that article. The place to start is to make sure users have Word 2007 or the 2007 compatibility support for Word 2003 installed. This is required for supporting .docx files. You should also ensure you have the latest update for Word. Those have typically resolved any issues with docx support.
An alternative work-around would be to convert the files back to .doc format.

permanent link
Michael Mancini (1362410) | answered Mar 19 '10, 8:16 a.m.
I have not seen that particular error and I'm not familiar with that article. The place to start is to make sure users have Word 2007 or the 2007 compatibility support for Word 2003 installed. This is required for supporting .docx files. You should also ensure you have the latest update for Word. Those have typically resolved any issues with docx support.
An alternative work-around would be to convert the files back to .doc format.

I actually found that the converter was the problem. Microsoft issued the fix (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973904) and when my users on XP run this everything seems to work fine.

permanent link
lorena martinez (111) | answered Mar 24 '10, 4:55 p.m.
Im downloads the versions 2.0 (trial) y 2.0.0.1. With both versions have the same problem. I Install the software without problems with XP. Then, when startup the server i see:

Using CATALINA_BASE: C:\Archivos de programa\IBM\RRCS20\server\tomcat
Using CATALINA_HOME: C:\Archivos de programa\IBM\RRCS20\server\tomcat
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: C:\Archivos de programa\IBM\RRCS20\server\tomcat\temp
Using JRE_HOME: C:\Archivos de programa\IBM\RRCS20\server\jre

and then closes the console shows no error, but the server is not started.
what is the problem?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.