It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Lightweight checkout not supported for IBM Rational Team Concert

Esli de Almeida Rocha (1112) | asked Aug 25 '17, 9:57 a.m.

Hello,

I'm having a problem with RTC and Jenkins Pipeline script (jenkinsfile).

My projects are stored in RTC 5.0.2 SCM and the master instance of Jenkins downloads the whole workspace to get the Jenkinsfile. In the log I get the error message:

Lightweight checkout support not available, falling back to full checkout.

Is there any workaround for this problem?

Thanks,

Esli Rocha

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Aug 28 '17, 3:31 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Since RTC semantically does support what Jenkins calls "lightweight checkout" (i.e. reading the content of a file directly from the repository, instead of from a downloaded copy on disk), someone with Jenkins expertise would need to figure out why Jenkins is not taking advantage of the RTC capability.

Esli de Almeida Rocha commented Aug 28 '17, 12:59 p.m. | edited Aug 28 '17, 5:01 p.m.

Geoff, Thanks for your comment.

I'm not an expert on RTC.

Would you mind to share with us an example how "RTC semantically does support what Jenkins calls 'lightweight checkout'" ?

Geoffrey Clemm commented Aug 28 '17, 5:06 p.m.

You can use the "scm get file" command to download the content of a particular file from any stream/workspace/snapshot/baseline directly from the server, without requiring you to first load that stream/workspace/snapshot/baseline into the local file system.  That is what Jenkins calls a "lightweight checkout".

One answer

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Aug 28 '17, 2:23 a.m.

As far as I can see, lightweight checkout does not work in all cases. Similar problems was reported here:
https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-43818

Why do you consider it as a "problem". Does the "full checkout" not do the job properly?

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Aug 28 '17, 3:32 a.m.

I assume it is a problem because downloading an entire workspace in order to read the content of one file is very inefficient.

Esli de Almeida Rocha commented Aug 28 '17, 12:46 p.m. | edited Aug 28 '17, 5:01 p.m.

Yeah, Geoff. In addition to performance issue we have limited resources of storage at Jenkins master server.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.