It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

how to change type of existing work item attribute

Ritesh sahu (114) | asked Aug 07 '17, 5:57 a.m.
edited Aug 07 '17, 6:17 a.m.

How i can change the type of existing workitem attribute.

Is it good to change the type of workitem attribute or create new attribute. and what is the impact of existing work item , already associate the attribute?

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Aug 07 '17, 6:23 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

The UI does not allow to do that. it is officially not supported by RTC. You should create a new attribute with a new type and potentially use CSV export/import to migrate the old data over if needed.

It is possible to modify the process XML to change the type and get away with it in some cases (text), but it is potentially dangerous to do so. E.g. what if the type now means a bigger size (medium text->large text) and what does that mean for the database and the attribute that was already used?

Comments
Ritesh sahu commented Aug 07 '17, 6:33 a.m.

i created a custom attribute of type contributor, now i want to change it attribute type to medium HTML.
How i can merge data so that the existing work item does not effect. and If some one change the status of work item (close to new) then it should open the work item with new attribute with existing data.

Donald Nong commented Aug 08 '17, 3:39 a.m.

You can export the old existing data to CSV, then modify the CSV by adjusting the value to fit the new attribute, and finally import the CSV back.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.