It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to prevent Out of Sync errors

Ulf Buchner (3182213) | asked Sep 14 '09, 10:05 a.m.
Hi all,

Working with RTC for some time now I noticed that we frequently get Out of Sync errors for our workspaces. This causes us to fear the loss of data, so we want to prevent it. It seems that this especially happens when using multiple local workspaces with one repository workspace. Is this a known problem? Is there a way to prevent this? Is the approach we are using correct or should we, for instance, create multiple repository workspaces or multiple components?

We use such a setup in - for example - the following cases:

1. Sharing projects of different tools in one stream. For instance, we create the server part of a web application with RBD and the RichUI front end with EGL Free (as the latter offers more and better widgets). Both projects are shared using the same repository workspace but accessed from different tools, thus using different local workspaces.
2. We create a new local workspace to quickly test something, originating from the same repository workspace as the local workspace we normally work in.

In both cases, we would use the same user id to connect with the repository, thus using the same repository workspace.

Thanks,

Ulf

4 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Sep 15 '09, 3:22 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Ulf,

as far as I can tell the out of sync only happens if a file gets changed without Eclipse noticing it. That means the change is done with a tool outside the said Eclipse instance. Having said that, a eclipse based tool modifying a file could cause an out of sync in another Eclipse instance if that happens to be managing a file that is changed externally.

I am not sure I understand your statement about multiple local workspaces with one repository workspace. I haven't doen that - because repository workspaces are really cheap it is no issue to create several. I would not expect a sync error to occur just because you loaded a repository workspace several times into separate local directories. (No experience though, have not tried it).

If you work on the same local files from several Eclipse instances or other tools these out of sync are frequent. What I usually do is a refresh in a project explorer view. RTC then notices the local changes outside of its context and you can check them in.

Hope this helps,

Ralph

permanent link
Laura Kuczarski (21137) | answered Sep 15 '09, 10:03 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Sep 15 '09, 11:28 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
1. Sharing projects of different tools in one stream. For instance, we create the server part of a web application with RBD and the RichUI front end with EGL Free (as the latter offers more and better widgets). Both projects are shared using the same repository workspace but accessed from different tools, thus using different local workspaces.

This would probably cause out of sync errors because your repo workspace is changing from different editors. When you create changes to your repo workspace in one editor, the other editor becomes out of sync with the repo workspace. The repo workspace should be fine though. It's only your local view of the repo workspace that doesn't match. Reloading out of sync projects would overwrite local changes. You should probably use a different repo workspace with each editor. If you want both workspaces to use the same code, you can deliver change sets to the other workspace so you can test the changes before delivering to stream.

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Sep 16 '09, 8:25 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I'll just add my agreement to the other responders:
It is much more efficient to have a separate repository workspace for
each sandbox (local workspace). It also allows you use the pending
changes view to determine the differences between those sandboxes, and
handles any parallel development conflicts that may have occurred.

Cheers,
Geoff

ubuchner wrote:
Hi all,

Working with RTC for some time now I noticed that we frequently get
Out of Sync errors for our workspaces. This causes us to fear the
loss of data, so we want to prevent it. It seems that this especially
happens when using multiple local workspaces with one repository
workspace. Is this a known problem? Is there a way to prevent this?
Is the approach we are using correct or should we, for instance,
create multiple repository workspaces?

We use such a setup in - for example - the following cases:

1. Sharing projects of different tools in one stream. For instance, we
create the server part of a web application with RBD and the RichUI
front end with EGL Free (as the latter offers more and better
widgets). Both projects are shared using the same repository
workspace but accessed from different tools, thus using different
local workspaces.
2. We create a new local workspace to quickly test something,
originating from the same repository workspace as the local workspace
we normally work in.

In both cases, we would use the same user id to connect with the
repository, thus using the same repository workspace.

Thanks,

Ulf

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.