It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Install Manager tech note IBM Ref:1380014

Norman Dignard (356688168) | asked Feb 13 '13, 9:54 a.m.
Don't you just love good documentation. http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21380014&myns=swgrat&mynp=OCSSDV2W&mync=E

I was reviewing the Install Manager tech note as it applies to my OS.  We are preparing  to setup our JTS server and I'm wondering the relevance of this tech note.  As it stands , we will be setting up JTS  with RTC, RQM and DOORS NG using Oracle and the default tomcat which is done using the Install manager.  

The tech note refers to RHEL 5 and 6 install guides/notes but in Websphere 7.0 doc site.

If this tech note is only intended  for a Websphere install, please say so. As it is, it infers its an Install Manager issue.  So do I need to abide by this even though we're not installing WAS?

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Feb 13 '13, 11:11 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Feb 13 '13, 11:13 a.m.
I just read the Technote and I find it wonderfully clear.

It - to me - basically says if you wanted to install on RHEL 64 bit you need at least Installation Manger 1.6 (which is below the current version), or you needed to install the 32 bit runtime support library.

It does not mention WAS, Tomcat or whatever, it just mentions a problem that occurred with older versions of Installation Manager on certain RHEL 64 bit versions. since CLM uses Installation Manager, I assume it would be applicable to old versions of CLM as well. Installation Manager does not work -> I can't install CLM.

Comments
Norman Dignard commented Feb 13 '13, 11:52 a.m.

I was questioning the tech note with regards to the links. The tech note states:
Review the Preparing Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 for installation and Preparing Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 for installation documentation in the Information Center for more details. 

These links bring you to the WAS docs.  If I'm dealing with Install Manger then why push WAS requirements.  Install Manager is not only for WAS. Are they trying to imply that IM (regardless of its use) needs to meet these requirements?

permanent link
Vladimir Zahariev (1503) | answered Feb 13 '13, 12:48 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Norman,

All this is about a  general problem with running 32bit applications in 64 bit environment. RedHat have selected the  approach not to ship 32bit system libraries with the 64bit versions of their OS.

Thus to run any 32bit application on your 64bit RedHat Linux, you need to install a set of 32bit libraries first. This is not specific to Installation Manager or WAS or any other application. I agree with Ralph that the tech note and the referred links very clearly ( and in great detail ) explain the steps needed to make your 32bit application work. Although the steps are listed in the WAS section they apply for all other cases without any change.

Is there  really a good reason to duplicate  these pages for each 32bit application (instead of providing a reference to them)?

Regards,
-Vlad

Comments
Norman Dignard commented Feb 13 '13, 1:21 p.m.

I guess my interpretation is not the same. Yes the tech note defines the need for 32bit libs. My problem is that it tell you to see WAS docs for more details. Looking at the WAS docs sections on RH setup - it go on to list various libraries etc... required.

It is not clear if all these are required for IM, WAS or is it a combo of both.
Hence my delima.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.