It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Your actual experience with Component in DNG 6.0.3?

Stephen Woo (96210) | asked Apr 05 '17, 10:37 a.m.

I hate to trouble you all as I am just learning about 6.0.3. My current version is 6.0.2. I have been reading and exploring Component in DNG 6.0.3. I believe I understand some of the benefits and also potential pitfalls. I know what I know. I know what I don't know. I don't know what I don't know--are there any pitfalls that you can help me avoid? For example, can I really clone artifacts and their links across components? Does JRS really work with components? Any work-around that will allow a collection or a module consists of artifacts from different components? Is there a work-around to query items across components in the web UI? 

3 answers

permanent link
Adrian Haw (2741242) | answered Apr 05 '17, 1:36 p.m.

We just upgraded a test server from 6.0.2 to 6.0.3 today and will be conducting UAT over the coming weeks - whatever we find in terms of bugs/features, gotchas, etc I can post here.

The first thing we found is that linking artifacts in different project streams of a global config using user-defined link types and link constraints seems to work in 6.0.3 (certainly didn't behave properly in 6.0.2).

permanent link
Jean-François CHAPELLE (6414) | answered Jul 23 '19, 5:03 a.m.

We are currently in DNG 6.0.5.

Our experience with components is mixed :

- good for using with "Global Configuration", or if you need to have "custom" types, links in a project.
- very bad for administration tasks, because "Component" seems to be an independent sub-project in a project. For example, the views, the artifact types, the module template are defined in a component context : if you want to standardize the characteristics of all the components of a project, it is very difficult and time consuming (no API to do these operations, and the only alternative is the import of the characteristics of a component, but this remains insufficient and does not cover all the scenarios).

Component are nice for small projects, but currently, this solution is not industrial and still a source of instabilities.

permanent link
Matt Muller (59813674) | answered Jul 23 '19, 6:37 a.m.

Hi,

I would suggest you read about the use of Global Configuration and JRS with LQE with a configuration:

https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/CLMCfgMRecommendedPractices

Specifically for JRS - you need to define your DNG / Stream Strategy for reporting.

I would also if you enable DNG configuration Management which is a massive bonus also apply/enforce "Change Sets" for the DNG Stream.  This initially feels like an overhead however you soon get into the "change set" principles and also if you really want to plan > get into RTC work items linked to Change sets in DNG.

We have found looking at reviews / comments and also extending to "Link Validity" is very useful.

The down side to DNG and components is as how to apply changes in the DNG config - as essentially each component is it's own config.  We have spend a long time to develop a change process to capture adding "attributes" and Views...  some things are good;  others are bad!

I hope this helps;  Global configuration,  LQE, LDX is a complex subject but needs some understanding to make things work.  Also 6.0.3 is an older version - strongly suggest you look at the latest version with many fixes to reporting / REQIF etc.

If you consider the Global Configuration your ability to scale then the solution does become extendable and enterprise / platform compatible.  This does however take time to consider / plan and change / Transform.

Regard

Matt Muller 

Comments
Matt Muller commented Jul 23 '19, 6:41 a.m.

Just seen this was posted in April 17...   well out of date! LOL

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.