It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What determines the order of the work items in a work item template?

Ronald King (111) | asked Apr 04 '17, 1:46 p.m.

I understand that the order is determined by the order in the template .xml file. But how does RTC determine that order in the first place. I have some large templates with work items that need to be created in a certain order (specifically the order in the work breakdown plan view). I can't see any pattern as to how RTC determines the order when you "Create Work Item Template". I'm trying to avoid editing the XML files as that is very time consuming for large templates.

3 answers

permanent link
Christian Schlag (111) | answered Jun 02 '17, 7:46 a.m.
edited Jun 02 '17, 7:48 a.m.

Hi Ronald, did you get a solution for that problem?

Thanks,
Christian

Comments
Ronald King commented Jun 20 '17, 10:09 a.m.

Hi Christian,

I did not get any answers. I did end up editing the XML files to change the order.

Ron

permanent link
Carlos Isacovich (59114) | answered Jan 21 '21, 11:18 a.m.
Hi Chrisitian

Just another question about this situation. When you see those work items as children of a parent one, do they appear in the xml order or -as I see usually- they may appear in an arbitrary order?

permanent link
Carlos Isacovich (59114) | answered Jul 14 '22, 7:38 p.m.
Despite this is a very old question, I have just discovered that, since the template is created from a query, the orden of work items created is the same as they appear in the query (at least in version 7.0.2)
In my case, I created an attribute to assign the orden in the template, and it works fine.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.