It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Confusing error message when checkin changeset failed

Guowei Jim Hu (1.0k810353) | asked Sep 09 '09, 2:09 p.m.
One developer tried to checkin a file in his workspace but failed with the following error message:

Error during upload
Failed to upload File /migration-documentation/Connectivity/ExternalDesign_MigrationModule_Connectivity.doc
Error uploading new contents of /migration-documentation/Connectivity/ExternalDesign_MigrationModule_Connectivity.doc

We eventually figured it out that he needs to accept all incoming changeset first and then the checkin went through.

We think that the error message doesn't reflect this cause at all. Can it be changed to something more meaningful and if possible including directions what to do next?

5 answers

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Sep 10 '09, 4:41 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
One developer tried to checkin a file in his workspace but failed with the following error message:

Error during upload
Failed to upload File /migration-documentation/Connectivity/ExternalDesign_MigrationModule_Connectivity.doc
Error uploading new contents of /migration-documentation/Connectivity/ExternalDesign_MigrationModule_Connectivity.doc

We eventually figured it out that he needs to accept all incoming changeset first and then the checkin went through.

We think that the error message doesn't reflect this cause at all. Can it be changed to something more meaningful and if possible including directions what to do next?

Hi

Please log this as a defect on jazz.net (the lack of an appropriate error message). However, you should not need to accept incoming changes to do a checkin. Are you sure you were trying to checkin and not trying to do a deliver?

anthony

permanent link
Guowei Jim Hu (1.0k810353) | answered Sep 10 '09, 5:00 p.m.

Hi

Please log this as a defect on jazz.net (the lack of an appropriate error message). However, you should not need to accept incoming changes to do a checkin. Are you sure you were trying to checkin and not trying to do a deliver?

anthony

Yes, I am sure. The user is new to RTC and this is the first file he has ever tried to checkin. Will generate a defect for it as you suggested.

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Sep 10 '09, 5:53 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi

anthony

Yes, I am sure. The user is new to RTC and this is the first file he has ever tried to checkin. Will generate a defect for it as you suggested.

Ah - I think I might know what happened here - the .doc suffix reminded me of this.

I assume these really are documents (.doc) and you might be editing these outside the Eclipse environment. Regardless of how they are edited, after you have saved and closed the document, select the file in the Package Explorer view (or any view that has the file visible) and press F5 to refresh. Then try and checkin. The Refresh will force the RTC client to reread the file system where the file is stored.

Accepting all incoming changes will force RTC to do a Refresh - so this accept all changes did not really fix the problem - it was that a refresh happened.

Hopefully this is the correct explanation. I agree the error message is not that useful and could be improved.

regards

anthony

permanent link
Guowei Jim Hu (1.0k810353) | answered Sep 11 '09, 9:24 a.m.

Ah - I think I might know what happened here - the .doc suffix reminded me of this.

I assume these really are documents (.doc) and you might be editing these outside the Eclipse environment. Regardless of how they are edited, after you have saved and closed the document, select the file in the Package Explorer view (or any view that has the file visible) and press F5 to refresh. Then try and checkin. The Refresh will force the RTC client to reread the file system where the file is stored.

Accepting all incoming changes will force RTC to do a Refresh - so this accept all changes did not really fix the problem - it was that a refresh happened.

Hopefully this is the correct explanation. I agree the error message is not that useful and could be improved.

regards

anthony

Yes. He just ovewrote the file with one he got from someone's email and then tried to checkin. So if he clicked F5 to refresh RTC, this won't happen.

Thanks for the tip and the error message does make some sense to me know. But as you said it could be more clear if it suggest user to do a refresh.

permanent link
Guowei Jim Hu (1.0k810353) | answered Sep 11 '09, 9:40 a.m.
Rasied work item:

https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=94274

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.