It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to Create and Use a Custom Link Type

Scott Ankrum (25313) | asked Feb 10 '17, 10:50 a.m.

I have created a custom link type similar to Validated By.  We need this, because the person managing User Acceptance Testing wants to be able to trace tests to/from requirements independently of system tests.  The custom link type shows up in the Link Types list.  Where I would associate attributes to an artifact type, it does not show up when I select "+ Add Attribute..."  In the columnar display of artifacts, it also does not show up in the list of selectable column headings.  What step am I missing to be able to use this custom link type?

Comments
Scott Ankrum commented Feb 13 '17, 2:26 p.m.

I double checked that I was selecting Configure Columns to Display in the artifact list.  Yes, when I select that I still do not see the custom link type I created.  I created a second custom link type to verify that  I did not miss and step, and that new link type does not show up either.

I'm hoping somebody can pint out the step I am missing.  Creating a custom link type does not seem to work.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Feb 14 '17, 8:28 p.m.

Can you use the custom link within an artifact (in the link section)? I think this is the most important part. To make the custom link available in column display selection, I have to tick the "only show default attributes" option once after the custom link is created. Once it's shown, the "only show default attributes" option has no effect on it. This was tested with RDNG 6.0.2.

Scott Ankrum selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Scott Ankrum commented Feb 15 '17, 9:17 a.m.

Thank you Donald.  I tried what you described. (Your description makes it seem like a defect.)  My custom link still does not show up.  Interestingly, a second custom link I created as a test on Monday does now show up.  So, I just now deleted the first custom link I created and renamed the second one.  Now, the custom link I wanted shows up in the column display.  This is hokey and probably a bug.  Thanks for the answer.

Scott Ankrum commented Feb 15 '17, 10:07 a.m.

Once I created the custom link type and saw it in the column display, I determined that it could not do what I wanted. It seems that the custom link type is only good for linking to other requirements.  There doesn't seem to be any way to use it to link to a test case, which is what I wanted it for.  It seems that only "Validated By" can link to a test case. 

Donald Nong commented Feb 16 '17, 2:20 a.m.

At first I thought it is a defect as well. On second thought, I believe it's more about caching. What I did probably forced the attributes and link types to be reloaded.

About the cross domain links to RQM, I believe "Validated By" is the only supported link.
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSYMRC_6.0.3/com.ibm.rational.rrm.help.doc/topics/r_rm_link_domains.html

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.