It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to compare configurations of two different DNG project areas?

Ian Wark (79713553) | asked Oct 26 '23, 9:01 p.m.
I am trying to use the [Compare Configuration...] feature in DNG to compare a configuration from two different DNG project areas, but I cannot see any configurations from other project areas. I can only see a single local component and streams and baselines in the current DNG project area. We want to do a deep level comparison between two streams in different DNG project areas, including all the types and attributes.

Is there a way to do this? We get the feeling that this configuration comparison is only possible within the same DNG project area.

I did a test. I have two DNG project areas that are both enabled for configurations. They each have a local project area component named the same as the project area. "OldACv1.0" and "NewACv103". I created a global component in /gc called "AutomotiveCompl" and added the initial stream from both DNG project areas to it. In my second NewACv103 project area I switched the configuration context to the AutomotiveCompl global configuration. Then clicked "Compare Configuration..." but I cannot find the initial stream of OldACv1.0 despite using * to search. There is no option to change the local component from whatever I chose as the local component to my global "AutomotiveCompl".

If this is not possible, what alternatives are there which would help us compare the structure and artifacts of the two streams on a deep level? Note that we are not looking for a shallow comparison of two global configurations in the /gc application.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ian Barnard (2.0k613) | answered Oct 30 '23, 6:01 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Ian

does not actually comment on the comparing of configurations between 2 project areas

Comparison between configurations is within a component because the basis for sameness/difference is the internal identity of the resource which doesn't change as you edit the resource, and resource identities are unique in the server (so not comparable in different components and therefore different project areas). That's why you can change the name of something and the comparison would show a changed name, because the underlying identity of the resource is fixed.

> What alternatives are there which would help us compare 

I don't think this is possible in DOORS Next. You might be able to export to (perhaps?) document format and then compare documents?

If the two streams are completely unrelated then as I say comparison will have to be done outside DOORS Next. But if they're unrelated and you're trying to make them identical why not actually make them identical by branching within the component, making branch-specific changes, and making these different branches contributions to different GCs - the branches will be comparable within the component.

HTH
Ian

Ian Wark selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
Bhagath P B (3888) | answered Oct 27 '23, 5:40 a.m.

You cannot compare 2 Project Area's configurations.

I would suggest you to review the below document on General questions related to Configuration Management.

Comments
Ian Wark commented Oct 27 '23, 7:44 p.m.

Thanks for the answer. The document you give does not actually comment on the comparing of configurations between 2 project areas. Our purposes for doing this comparison are not a standard use of configuration management.. we just need the comparison.

Could you answer the other question? What alternatives are there which would help us compare the structure and artifacts of the two streams on a deep level?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.