It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Ability to select one of multiple action when creating workitem

Pankaj Sharma (401169) | asked Jan 11 '17, 3:34 p.m.

I am using RTC 6.0.2

I have a requirement, where I should be allowed save a WI to Draft or Submit depending upon users requirements.

Currently in RTC for any WI the initial status is Uninitialized, and its disabled, Also the workflow for the WI has a Start Action which changes the status to Draft when saved for the first time, This leads to multiple click if a user wants to submit the WI instead of saving it to Draft.

Is there any way to achieve this?

One answer

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Jan 11 '17, 8:53 p.m.

It is not possible in RTC. A single target state is allowed for an action, and the workflow only take a single "start action". This means that you will end up with a single state (Draft in your case), the target state of the "start action", when submitting a work item. You can develop an extension to automatically transit the work item from Draft to Submit if certain requirements are met (they have to be clearly defined).

In fact, can you show me a flowchart with the actual change management process? I rarely see such flowcharts with multiple actions right from the start.

Comments
Pankaj Sharma commented Jan 12 '17, 1:23 p.m.

Thanks Donald for you your response.

I do not have enough reputation to upload anything in the post, But the the idea was.

If user thinks that user will need to review the WI later they can save it in Draft, But if they want to submit it they should be allowed to.

Currently my workflow allows user to submit the WI but it needs to be saved to Draft first then only i am allowed to save the WI in Submit status

Ralph Schoon commented Jan 12 '17, 1:40 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Don,

If the users don't have the permission, you can not create a follow up action that allows it.

So this is not possible to achive and, to be honest here, it does not make any sense at all. Either users/roles can do a state change or they can't. So either they can Submit or not.

This is computer science, boolean, true or false. Your business rule seems to be incompatible to boolean logic..

Donald Nong commented Jan 12 '17, 9:21 p.m.

Ralph,

From what I understand, some users just want to skip the Draft state/step, so it may not be about permission. I guess the flowchart may look like this:

Start --> Draft --> Submitted
  |---------------------^^^

Basically someone wants to take the second route. I asked Pankaj to provide the flowchart just to confirm this. Of course I agree with you that this cannot be done in RTC, or even in computer science in general. :-)

I've worked with a customer who tried to implement a workflow without any knowledge of a proper flowchart. You never know what they are thinking about if you don't ask.

Ralph Schoon commented Jan 13 '17, 2:17 a.m. | edited Jan 13 '17, 3:27 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

There is one initial action which is pretty much a design requirement as it is automatic. After that it is all normal actions as workflows desire, so that won't work.

I am all too aware about skills/lack of even basic knowledge of basic concepts needed to implement and use CLM, Don. I am spending way too much time on the forum trying to teach these.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.