It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Readonly attribute on condition for one role

Ilona Krammer (159447) | asked Dec 14 '16, 3:32 a.m.
I would like to have a readonly attribute on a condition for the Everyone role. (I can do that)

The admin role should have the possibility to edit the content in any case though. But every other precondition set for the Everyone role should be valid for the admin role as well.

So basically I would like to extend the editing rights for the admin and use the rest of the preconditions and follow up actions from the Everyone role.

Is there any way to do that? Or how can I solve that problem?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Dec 14 '16, 4:53 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Please carefully read: Process behavior lookup in Rational Team Concert 2.0 although for RTC 2.0, it is still accurate.

So what you basically would do, is to configure operational behavior for the Admin role exactly like it is configured for the Everyone role. Then you remove the read only for condition for the Admin role behavior configuration. This is how RTC Operation behavior is designed. The idea being that a role like Admin can have different behavior configured.

Answer to your next question: No, you can not access the role information of a user in JavaScript and there is no way to make this easier using JavaScript. I think I discuss this in https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2016/07/15/rtc-process-customization-what-you-can-and-cannot-do/ .

Java based conditions can access role information see https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2015/06/19/a-custom-condition-to-make-attributes-required-or-read-only-by-role/

Ilona Krammer selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ilona Krammer commented Dec 14 '16, 5:45 a.m.

Okay - I wanted to avoid configuring everything again for the admin role... would have saved me a lot of time..

Is it save to copy the xml configuration from one role to the other. Otherwise I would have to set all the readonly attributes per item type and state and things like that which is tedious and error prone

Ilona Krammer commented Dec 14 '16, 6:03 a.m.

Interestingly enough I cannot remove the precondition, I have to add it to the admin role as well but leave it empty - otherwise it seems to use the "Everyone" precondition and doesn't allow editing.. but I've found a way at least.

And copying seems to work fine. It's not exactly what I would hope for, but it works.

Ralph Schoon commented Dec 14 '16, 6:12 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Copy XML: I can't say in general. There are ID's. I would test first if you create them manually, how the ID's look like. If they are the same for each role, it would likely be safe to copy.

My understanding is that you have to configure something for the operation e.g. work item save, to make it count and not go to the other roles. Just checking the "Preconditions and follow up actions are configured" and not doing anything else would consider the operation as configured - and do nothing.

Make sure you nderstand which role the user has in which context (owning process area of the work item).

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.