It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Handling Unfinshed Tasks in a Sprint RTC

Ademola Abodunrin (131) | asked Nov 14 '16, 8:49 a.m.

What is the best way to handle tasks that are not completed in one Sprint and needs to roll over to the new Sprint. For example, if one has a task that was originally scheduled for 8 hours and 4 hours had been completed by the end of the Sprint, is it best practice to simply change the Planned for field of that task to the next Sprint or make a correction of the hours to 4 hours so that that task can be closed out and then simply open a new one for the new Sprint. I have attempted to search the help section in RTC and this forum but have not been able to find a topic that speaks to handling unfinished tasks so that visibility of actual hours worked from one Sprint to the next is properly accounted for.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Matt Muller (59813274) | answered Nov 17 '16, 11:46 a.m.
Ademola,
My suggestion would be to edit the original Task > To confirm what was done and what wasn't.
Then you could use a related link and create a New Task in the next Sprint.
It does raise the question "Did you complete the Story for the Sprint"?
If you move tasks into the next sprint then elements of the reporting may not work.
I assume you have Story with Child links to the Tasks?
You could use a Retrospective work item to record this?

Just a suggestion.
Ademola Abodunrin selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ademola Abodunrin commented Nov 22 '16, 8:43 a.m.

Hi Matt,

Thank you for the response. This actually affected testing tasks and to answer your question, the story was not completed. Yes we have the story with Child links and have captured it as a retrospective work item to see what we can do better.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.