It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do I move files in the Eclipse client from one component to another component?

Naveen Tyagi (19778152) | asked Sep 22 '16, 6:49 a.m.
converted to question Sep 23 '16, 11:51 a.m. by Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035)
Can you provide some initial steps or link to move file in Eclipse client from component to another components etc.

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Sep 23 '16, 11:53 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Note: This was originally a "comment" under question https://jazz.net/forum/questions/228403 which was specifically about moving files within a component.   If you have a new question, please remember to post as a new question, and not as a comment/answer under a different question.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Dinesh Kumar B (4.1k413) | answered Sep 22 '16, 6:24 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Are you able to load these files in Eclipse?

I mean, do you have the Eclipse Projects as share roots? If so, like Ralph mentions, you can go ahead and use the Tool's Refactor/Move capabilities and get this done.

If you do not have a containment projects, just the Folder's as the share root, then in my knowledge, command line (scm move) would be your best way till we get to v603.

Also, for huge set of files, usually automation through command line is preferred than manual Eclipse client way.  Ofcourse as you rightly pointed out, there are chances for errors and should be done cautiously.
Naveen Tyagi selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Dinesh Kumar B commented Sep 22 '16, 7:25 a.m. | edited Sep 23 '16, 11:52 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

to move across components, with history, you could employ dummy eclipse projects.

here are the steps for it, as outlined in the :
Enhancement 56504: Move files and folders between components and retain history

- create a dummy project and share it into your component.
- do a regular move of the things you want to move into that dummy project
- check-in your changes and close (or complete) the change sets.
- use the Team->MoveInRepository to move the dummy project to the destination component
- move the files/directories to where you really want them to go within the destination component.
- check-in your changes
- do a "Team->RemoveInRepository (or 'Delete From Repository')" on the (now empty) dummy project (unless you want to just keep it around for a subsequent move)

Naveen Tyagi commented Sep 30 '16, 1:33 a.m.

Thanks Dinesh. I used same approach.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.