It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RQM Excel Importer tool 602: How to use the sample file: "Testsuite with testcases that have testscripts.cfg" without XLSArtifactID

Joao Carusi (263314) | asked Sep 08 '16, 6:50 p.m.
edited Sep 12 '16, 4:12 p.m.
I am doing some tests related to Uniqueness in RQM.

The only way to create unique id automatically would be by not using XLSArtifactID, however we are facing a failure to importing test suites  when using the sample file: "Testsuite with testcases that have testscripts.cfg" without XLSArtifactID (it seems to be a defect specific for test suites).

They customer asked me how to use the sample file: "Testsuite with testcases that have testscripts.cfg" without XLSArtifactID

They want to comment the lines below so the Excel Importer tool can create the id automatically instead:
testscript.XLSArtifactID=B  
testcase.ID=testscript.XLSArtifactID

I'm getting the following error:

9/8/2016 7:22:38 PM: Error sending to server Testsuite_with_testcases_that_have_testscripts2_Sheet1_1.xml of type testsuite
9/8/2016 7:22:38 PM: Internal Server Error

Thanks!

===============

// This configuration file creates a test case with each test script and links them.
//Also there is a singular testsuite created that has all of the testcases in it.

// Start looking for scripts after row 2
testscript.XLSStartRow=5

// use the data in the first row of a found script's column B
//testscript.XLSArtifactID=B
testscript.dc:title=B
testscript.dc:description=C

// the literal "execution" will be put into the step type tag, so all steps will be of type execution
testscript.steps.type="execution"
testscript.steps.description=E
testscript.steps.title=D
testscript.steps.name=D
testscript.steps.expectedResult=F

// a new script starts when we encounter an empty row
testscript.XLSDelimeter=\n

// we want to use the data we got for each test script to create a test case
//testcase.ID=testscript.XLSArtifactID

// by referring to the testscript's field instead of the column that data comes from
// the tool will also create links to each of the test scripts.
testcase.dc:title=testscript.dc:title
testcase.dc:description=testscript.dc:description

testsuite.dc:title=B1
testsuite.dc:description=B2
testsuite.XLSLink=testcase

Comments
Don Yang commented Sep 13 '16, 1:19 a.m.

"The only way to create unique id automatically would be by not using XLSArtifactID, however we are facing a failure to importing test suites"

is there any problem in using XLSArtifactID(unique XLSArtifactID) in the cfg file?

Joao Carusi commented Sep 13 '16, 1:49 p.m.

Hi Don,

Unfortunately this is not an option for the user.

"Adding a new column would be unacceptable since it may not comply with  
regulations. Does it mean that it is a bug in the RQM Excel importer tool? Can it be fixed?"

Don Yang commented Sep 13 '16, 8:33 p.m.

In the specified sample, we don't actually add a new column there but using a column(B in this case) which is the title for the artifacts. Since it is different, we use them as a unique external id. We have other keyword such as XLSLink to link the artifacts but it will link all of the target in the same worksheet. In the use case when the users want to do 1:1 link or link to one/multiple specific target artifacts, we need to use external id(or internal id if they are created via UI and existing). This is how the tool works and I dont think it is a bug in the tool.
We need to find out from the user what they want to achieve in terms of linkage: are they ok to link testcase to all test scripts or they need a specific 1:1/Multi link scenario? and their concern to add a new column may not be necessary, they can use an existing column for external id in some cases(in some cases, they may need to have an extra column as external id by copying the existing id(such as title column) to different worksheet etc)

Joao Carusi commented Sep 14 '16, 10:30 a.m.

"and their concern to add a new column may not be necessary, they can use an existing column for external id in some cases(in some cases, they may need to have an extra column as external id by copying the existing id(such as title column) to different worksheet etc)"

The initial problem was:
"Name Uniqueness behaves differently when manually entering test cases
and importing from Excel"

If they use the title column, I believe that an NEW artifact will be created once they modify the title in the Excel file, right?

Joao Carusi commented Sep 14 '16, 2:00 p.m.

Hi Don,

Can you help me to create an sample that does not use XLSLink and does not need an specif column for external id at least for 1:1 link ?
We will need to take into consideration "the uniqueness concern" (update artifact versus create a new artifact).

Don Yang commented Sep 14 '16, 8:54 p.m.

When you removed XLSArtifactID for test script and testcase, the link between them can be established via self reference(1:1). The problem is test suite creation here.
If there is no XLSArtifactID specified in testcase, then testsuite.XLSLink=testcase will throw the below error:

Error sending to server Testsuite_with_testcases_that_have_testscripts2_Sheet1_1.xml of type testsuite

If we want to link all test cases to test suite within one sheet, we need to use keyword
XLSLink here. Since there is no external id specified, I don't think we can use other keyword like Link() as it requires id.
I don't know why test suite needs test case external id to be used for the link when using XLSLink keyword, I cannot find any relevant info here.
I posted a question here
https://jazz.net/forum/questions/228071/rqmexcelimporter-why-test-suite-link-to-test-case-needs-test-case-external-id-to-be-specified
for this specific puzzle.
I hope someone else may have some info for your post or my post. Thanks

Don Yang commented Sep 19 '16, 5:59 a.m.

I think the reply from Donald in my post sounds reasonable as even if there is external id specified, a default id will be formed anyway:
<Excel file name><Excel worksheet name>[<artifact count when 2 or more artifacts in the same Excel worksheet>].xml
it would still be unique.
So it should not matter if external id is specified for test case or not, test suite creation should not be a problem hence it is likely to be a defect in ExcelImporter. Please raise an escalation or defect WI for the dev team to confirm.
Thanks

showing 5 of 7 show 2 more comments

Accepted answer

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k614) | answered Sep 19 '16, 8:18 p.m.
As I mentioned in the other post, it is very likely a defect against the "testsuite.XLSLink=testcase" configuration.

To workaround this, you can generate some unique IDs in one of the columns in the Excel sheet before exporting it to RQM. Note that the "unique" ID that the RQM Excel Importer generates relies on the file name, so it is unique to a degree only. In other words, if you import two files that happen to have the same name, you can unknowingly update the test cases created at the first attempt, instead of creating new ones. That is to say, specifying unique IDs explicitly (in the content) can be better than doing so implicitly (relying on the file name).
Joao Carusi selected this answer as the correct answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.