It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How can I identify the version of all RTC clients installed on a host?

Stephane Couillaud (15632344) | asked Jul 20 '16, 7:39 p.m.
We are getting ready to upgrade our servers from RTC 5.0.2 to RTC 6.0.2 but before doing so I want to ensure all our clients are compatible due to the N-1 restriction. So my question is this, how can I identify hosts running clients at 4.X, specifically for Eclipse, the Visual Studio plugin and the Build System Toolkit? The idea is for us to use SMS (Systems Management Server) to identify these hosts.  Are there any registry keys or entries somewhere that we can use?  I've only found some registry entries for Visual Studio:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\IBM\RTC.NET Client\VS2010
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\IBM\RTC.NET Client\VS2013
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\IBM\RTC.NET Client\VS2015

where a version key exists. But none for Eciipse or the Build System Toolkit

I know I can launch installation manager to see the installed product versions or look at the file C:\ProgramData\IBM\Installation Manager\installed.xml on each host but that would require some scripting and parsing.  I'm trying to find an easier solution, if any, given that we're looking at thousands of clients.
Any suggestions?

Comments
Donald Nong commented Jul 20 '16, 10:50 p.m.

RTC clients are based on Eclipse, and don't usually use Windows registry keys for configuration. Note that same RTC clients (e.g. the plain zip version) do require installation. Your best bet will be checking the build label of a particular .jar file within the RTC client folder, for example, com.ibm.team.concert####.jar. But I don't have a complete list of mapping between the .jar file build label and the RTC version. If you check a few different versions, you should get a fairly clear idea.

Alexandre Stegani commented Aug 10 '16, 6:14 p.m.

In CCM admin, you can get a count of clients that are connecting to the server and the version of these clients, but unfortunately the report won't tell you host names or usernames (at least this you give you an idea of how many 'old' clients you have). You can also prevent these old clients from connecting to the server.

One answer

permanent link
Stephane Couillaud (15632344) | answered Aug 10 '16, 7:57 p.m.
In the end we deployed a VBscipt using SCCM to collect C:\ProgramData\IBM\Installation Manager\installed.xml on each host.  Then we parsed the content of each xml file to identify which client still used 4.X tools.

Comments
Donald Nong commented Aug 14 '16, 8:18 p.m.

Just be aware that you will miss out the "plain zip" type, and the p2-intallation type clients. Of course it will be fine if you are certain that all clients are installed by using IM.

Stephane Couillaud commented Aug 15 '16, 12:43 p.m.

we do not use "plain zip" or "P2 installations".  But that's a good point.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.