It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Possible to limit a link type so only one (or two) specific work item types can be chosen?

Ilona Krammer (159449) | asked Jun 22 '16, 6:28 a.m.
I would like to link a custom work item "system" with a custom work item "systemversion". Since I wanted those links for the users to be able to move back and forth between the items, I created a new link type.
But I can't seem to be able to limit the type that can be selected to "systemversion" so no one could add a defect or anything else.

I also have another scenario where two different work item types would be allowed.

Comments
sam detweiler commented Jun 22 '16, 8:38 a.m.

As Ralph says below, there is no capability in the product to do that.

as part of a prototype I built a few years ago now, I modified the product to support that kind of functionality. and extended the schema for linktypes to add the potential targets allowed. There is an enhancement somewhere to provide this kind of support. but I wouldn't plan on it ever happening

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jun 22 '16, 7:24 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
As far as I am aware, there is no capability built into RTC to "limit link types allowed between items". You should be able to write a custom advisor (pre-condition) that can prevent saving a work item if the link type about to be created is not desired.
Ilona Krammer selected this answer as the correct answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.