It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Automate team areas creation and categories association upon RTC project creation

Maria Victoria Martinez Torino (14924559) | asked Jul 13 '16, 9:31 a.m.
Hi,

I have a request to have two team areas automatically created and with its corresponding categories when creating a RTC project area.

I know it is possible to create one team area by default by using the "Setup Project" server follow-up action. But what about two default team areas?

I cannot use the "Create Team Areas" action since it doesn't allow me to associate these team areas with categories.

Is there any workaround for accomplishing this request?

I am using RTC eclipse IDE on a Jazz sever v6.0.1.

thanks,
Vicky

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jul 14 '16, 3:17 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
The SAFe 3.0 Process (Profram) template does exactly that. It is shipped with your version of RTC. Consider having a look at it.

It uses the Project Area Initialization follow up actions available.

Comments
Maria Victoria Martinez Torino commented Jul 14 '16, 7:05 a.m.

Thanks Ralph.

I am aware of the "Create Team Areas" follow-up action although I don't think that action allows you to associate those team areas with pre-defined categories as the "Setup Project" does. Can you confirm me if my assumption is correct?

By the way, I am not using the SAFe template but a custom one based on the "Formal Project Management Process" template.

Thanks,
Vicky

Ralph Schoon commented Jul 14 '16, 7:15 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

No, it only allows to create the team areas and to create the categories. I don't see a capability to map the two items. You have to manually do that or create an extension that does it for you.

permanent link
Miguel Tomico (5001323) | answered Jul 14 '16, 8:41 a.m.

@mvmtori, I don't believe there is something out of the box.

In case you are into writing your own extension, as suggested by Ralph, here's some Java code:

Category cat;
cat = (Category) myCategory;
cat = (Category) cat.getWorkingCopy();
cat.getTeamAreas().remove(0);
cat.getTeamAreas().add(myTeam);
cat.setDefaultTeamArea(myTeam);
workItemService.saveCategory(cat, monitor);

Unfortunately, it uses the internal class Category. We couldn't find any 'public' API to assign Teams to Categories, but we have been using above solution pretty successfully for v4.0.3 and v5.0.2.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.